places to stay during the con

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
5 replies [Last post]
Quiran's picture

as everyone knows, we keep on growing every year, and hotelspace stays the same,

wouldnt it be an option to cooperate with pittsburgh university, pittsburgh town councel, visitpittsburg and other cooperating compagnies to start talking about finding sleepspots somewhere else.

i was thinking more like student dorms, empty halls / offices which can be turned into group accomodation.
arent there more options then only in hotels?, with the 4 day marches of nymegen, the whole town gets turned into one big happy celebration, people offer accomodation(in their own house), which guests pay for (so the people earn something out of it)

they open sporting facilities for group accomodation.

it is allot of arranging, certainly when people offer sleepingspots privately.
but wouldnt the town get more involved by this in a positive way?

im just sharing my thoughts, i dont know whats possible or not, i just happely give options Smiling

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
BlackJack's picture
This user is a Contributor

Personally,

I think the more practical option is the one that's already in the works-

to remind the Powers That Be that the Westin Hotel is supposed to have a second tower of hotel rooms,

and we would fill them every year if they did, as would other events.

If they want events big enough to use the entire DLCC, they need enough rooms for the people.

Virtually everyone who attends AC wants to be WALKING DISTANCE to the DLCC, so that means the hotels

within a several-block radius.  We need either more hotels, or more rooms IN those hotels. Adding the other

tower would mean more hotel rooms in the main hotel, which would make a huge difference for attendees.

No votes yet

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

There are options for locals who wish to offer their homes or apartments to Anthrocon attendees, such as AirBNB.com and Couchsurfing.org . I don;t think w e need to make any sort of public appeal; particularly as those homes are gnerally not within Anthrocon walking distance.

As Blackjack said, after a certain walkign distance to the Convention Center is passed, additional room availibility becomes less of a help.

That said, the notion of dorm use is interesting; but I'm not sure Pittsburgh's various colleges and universities with dorms are close enough to make them a consideration.

--Chi

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

Pitt, Carnegie, etc are all outside of walking distance. Youd need some sort of bus taking people back and forth once a day each way at minimum for that to work.

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Indeed, Pittsburgh has more than 4000 downtown hotel rooms.  Only about 1200 of them are within a 3-block radius of the Convention Center, and next year we have about 1100 of those.

So there's plenty of rooms.  It's just that our folks won't want to stay in them.

No votes yet
desteredra's picture
This user is a Staff Member

In addition to the above considerations, i might mention that i've worked for two organizations that run big annual events using college dorm rooms for housing.  From what i've observed, i think those rooms only become available at a reasonable rate when the parent organization (in our case, anthrocon) rents all of the rooms in a block (some of which probably aren't air conditioned), handles housing assignments and receiving payments for them, and uses the school's programming space to boot; even then it can be a bit of a trick to get the time and space at a doable price.

The organizations i've seen do it all have at least one paid staff person whose only job is handling this major event--and their events have a lot fewer attendees than ours.  So much as i'd like to keep anthrocon as cheap as possible for our people, i just don't see college housing happening anytime soon.

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.