Rooftop decoration for 2012?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
10 replies [Last post]
Gregarious Oddfellow's picture

The convention center has a really pleasent rooftop, it was a great venu for the drum circle...

Next year, do you think we could get the convention center to change the scrolling blue text?

I'm not sure what the text was from, but it'd be pretty cool if it were scrolling furry short stories for us next year Smiling

Maybe before the con, have a contest on the forum for writing hikus? Or Drabbles (100-word short stories)?

Something either short or that is easy to pick up from the middle...

Thanks for organizing a fun con, see you all again next year Smiling

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Unclekage's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

The scrolling blue text isn't changeable, unfortunately.  That's one of the first things we asked them about when we arrived in Pittsburgh.

No votes yet
FangFox's picture

i can about imagine how that went down:  "Oooooooo!! scrolly blue text! Can we make it say things?" "No." "Awwwwwwww"

No votes yet

Due to economic recession and budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off, we're sorry for the inconvenience.

Unclekage's picture

That's exactly how it went.

The blue text is actually an art installation.  The Convention Center has no control over it.  I think that any artist would be upset if someone took his or her work and changed it into an advertisement.

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture
This user is a Contributor

I'm curious as to how much that cost, who paid for it, whether anybody's ever sat and read the whole thing through (and how long it took), and whether the money spent on it would've been better used for, oh, maybe more hotel space?? Annoyed

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

Probably a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, or something similar.  And I suspect it cost far less than a new hotel.

We are working on a deal that will net us some additional hotel space.

No votes yet
PeterCat's picture

I found an article describing it and other artworks paid for by the same program, with the money coming half from private fundraising and half from the quasi-governmental agency that owns the convention center (and other facilities in the city).

Electronic art to illuminate city

The text is from three literary works set in Pittsburgh.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

Vulpes Rex's picture
This user is a Contributor

Quote:
The text is from three literary works set in Pittsburgh.

Ahh, that explains it!

I spent a good 20 minutes watching it scroll on both sides, reading it; individual sentences and phrases made sense, and seemed to be about a young singer who had achieved a degree of fame and success, reminiscing about how life was like before she hit it big; but following the whole thing, it was somewhat circular - no sense of where it was going, or what an appropriate "start" or "ending" point might be, so I couldn't really see it start, read through, end, and then recycle from the beginning.  If it was made into a single string of text from three different works, I couldn't detect a difference, though one or two sentences didn't seem to fit.

Perhaps it streams one "loop" for awhile, and then suddenly jumps mid-stream to one of the other two?

Yeah - "Art Installation" was my general impression, drawing one's attention but not carrying any real meaning in the content.  Empty calories, chewing gum for the mind.

Makes a nice building accent at night, though.

No votes yet
Gregarious Oddfellow's picture

Alas. I guess the convention center doesn't want to get into arguments about what's being broadcast from their roof.

I really enjoyed the rooftop drum circle tho.

A few people brought didgeridoos, but they got dround out by the louder drums.

Do you think we could have a second nite of rooftop jam-session for quiet instruments? Didgeridoo, jaw-harp, thumb-piano, violin, etc.

I'll bring diddgeridoos to share Eye-wink

No votes yet
rainbow's picture

I loved the drum circle! You know, drums CAN be played quietly, too, and it would blend well with the didge and flutes and stuff. You could ask the drum circle leaders to quiet things down for a while, or you could host another jam. I'd be happy to go to a rooftop jam two nights! Maybe you should start a new thread?

No votes yet
Clio's picture

It was a very fin drum circle. I definatly was dancing around for a bit. Though it is unfourtuate that we cannot change the text, with next years theme being a midsummer's nights dream is decorating the roof like let say oh and enchated garden an option?

No votes yet

*~*Clio*~*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It would be very glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor's finger.
Andy Warhol

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.