2012 and beyond, leaving Pittsburgh?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
18 replies [Last post]
cyberwuffy's picture

I know it's just a rumor, but could AC possibly be leaving Pittsburgh after a few years?

Also, I know wikifur is just a wiki, but are 2013 and 2014's dates likely to be changed to avoid the 4th of July? :3

No votes yet
Your rating: None

--

Best Wishes,
Cyberwuffy ala Wolfe
Visit the den!
FurAffinity
===============
Ain't Barrow great?! Eye-wink

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

At this time, the Board of Directors have given no indication that they have any desire to move out of Pittsburgh.  At this time, the only thing that make them even consider moving is the number of hotel rooms that Pittsburgh has available for us.

The future convention dates are set in stone because those are the dates the Board could get the convention center for.  They will not change.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Glelin's picture

You're about the 12th person to make a new topic asking this question. There is a search function in the top right of the web page.

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Protocollie's picture
This user is a Staff Member

We're not moving, and we've had the con over july 4th before... it's never presented a problem.

No votes yet
Slegiar Dryke's picture

i'd love having the chance to go to the con over july 4th Laughing out loud does pittsburg shoot fireworks off?

No votes yet

we all have magic in one way or another, you simply have to learn how to unlock your personal flavor of it

Protocollie's picture

there was a huge fireworks show last time it happened, so i'd say yes.

No votes yet
Slegiar Dryke's picture

SWEET! :DDD

No votes yet

we all have magic in one way or another, you simply have to learn how to unlock your personal flavor of it

Protocollie's picture

As a warning (I don't think I was super clear on this) I know nothing about the actual plans, I'm just guessing from past experience. It's possible it could go either way. :]

No votes yet
Rigel's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Having the con over the 4th of July makes it BETTER (IMHO).  The celebration atmosphere really meshes well with the event mentality.

Chiaroscuro's picture

Some of our attendees go "Oh Wow! Anthrocon's occuring on Independence Day, that's great! It's easy for me to get time off from work that weekend, and there'll be big noisy fireworks and it'll be great!"

Some of our attendees go "Oh no! Anthrocon's occuring on Independence Day, that sucks! My yearly family barbecue is then [or] I've got to be the one guy holidng the fort at work while other people are on vacation! There'll be loud annoying fireworks and holiday traffic, it'll suck!"

We aim to hold Anthrocon towards the end of June or the start of July; sometimes it's over the 4th, sometimes not. The dates seen are the dates Anthrocon shall be, and we're keeping it in Pittsburgh for the foresseable future.

--Chi

Zak
Zak's picture

do you guys have a contingency plan for the convention, if something were to happen?

like if the DLCC got hit by a tidal wave or something, where would the con go?

purely hypothetical. just curious Smiling

No votes yet

This sentence is false.

tail commissions! Laughing out loud

Vulpes Rex's picture

I am not on staff, so I of course have no real idea about what contingencies AnthroCon's Board of Directors has in place for various threats.

I do believe that we had a discussion about what to do in the event that giant, three-story tall mutant chickens were to suddenly start trotting down Liberty and Penn Avenues, gobbling up pedestrians as though they were June Bugs, and advancing to converge on Heinz Hall.  Among other things, it was determined that having the Pittsburgh Fire Department hit them with hoses would NOT be a good idea, for that would likely only make them as mad as - well, as mad as Wet Hens.

Of course, the primary focus was on how to avoid getting the blame for such an occurence, rather than what to do about the convention itself.  Personally, I believe that the only hope for the town would be the fortuitous appearance of a seven-story tall Fox, and that we should concentrate our efforts to create one for such an emergency.  Chickens are smart, but incredibly paranoid, and so it wouldn't even have to be a biological fox - it could be a helium-filled one, sort of like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon.

Seriously, though - a couple years ago, the weather was so unstable that one afternoon we had a very close call with cyclonic winds, and the Dorsai in the area outside the exhibition hall were directing people to get away from the windows - fast.  IF a tornado had actually come down and hit the DLCC, I do not know what could be done for the people inside the exhibition hall itself - fortunately, this occured after the close of the Dealers' Den, Artists' Alley, and the Art Show - but the roof "skin" itself is rather light, and might suffer badly in event of a pressure drop from a tornado passing over.  The actual load-bearing structure of the place though is very strong, and would not likely pose any danger of collapsing itself.

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

well I have heard of furs making custom made ,life sized pool toy fursonnas.Its only a matter of time that someone with more money then common sense builds a Macy`s parade sized baloon of a custom character.That would certainly  make the con  rulebook add some new rules Eye-wink

No votes yet
Protocollie's picture

We've actually already been through a similar situation - we were supposed to have the convention at the Adam's Mark hotel for at least a couple more years, but the hotel actually got demolished (on fairly short notice, iirc) and the convention was moved rather quickly to a nearby hotel that had the space available before getting shuttled off to Pittsburgh. 

Personally, though, no idea what we'd do if the DLCC wound up damaged or something, I think we're a bit bigger than just switching hotels, now.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

like if the DLCC got hit by a tidal wave or something

In... Pittsburgh?

We have discussed various contingency plans in case of emergency situations; depending on where, when, and what happened we would assuredly be able to find some form of solution. We're not going to *worry* about that until it occurs, but we know how to panic like professionals.

No votes yet
Zak
Zak's picture

i was being facetious about the tidal wave thing.

No votes yet

This sentence is false.

tail commissions! Laughing out loud

Vulpes Rex's picture

Quote:
i was being facetious about the tidal wave thing.

Well, yeah - but what about the chickens?

Hey, I know these people.  There are a lot of brilliant Furry Fans, with all sorts of experience in esoteric fields and - for some of them - too much idle time on their paws (Like Charline).  One should not discount the possibility too readily...and too many of them have read Wells' "The Food of the Gods".

No votes yet
Giza's picture

If you see a convention date announced by us (hint: future con dates can be found here), it means that the contracts have been signed and the date is set in stone.

No votes yet

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

Rakedu's picture

Unless Pittsburgh wants to move it, and offers some sort of incentive Eye-wink

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.