Bad etiquette in fursuit parade photo?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
11 replies [Last post]
Mewtwo's picture

While I understand that the photo prior to the fursuit parade is extremely difficult to organize and might be impossible to be done perfectly, I heard about one particular fur and can clearly see another in the group photo that has little to no respect for their fellow suiters.

The obvious one - from what I heard, those who brought their flags to the parade were told to keep them off to the side or down during the shoot.  Most of them seem to not have a problem following that rule, but one in particular not only disobeyed that but completely obscured another fur with their flag.  That slighted fur now has no proof they were in the group photo and most likely loses out on being able to show off one of the biggest things he or she would want to show others from their experience at Anthrocon 2011.  If it were up to me, the fur who did that would be paying all expenses plus a Supersponsorship for the fur they screwed out of their photo, but that's just because I'm a vindictive bastard.  (And no, I don't know the fur in question, I just really hate seeing people get screwed over.)

The other - this may be hearsay, but I was told that one suiter who was lined up in the back of the room prior to the photo being taken, snuck around the side and into the front row before the shot.  I understand wanting to be more prominent in the photo but it was not that fur's decision to make at that point.

I was not a suiter this year, but if all goes according to plan, will be next year.  I am hoping that such issues will not present themselves in future years.

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Glelin's picture

Referring to this?

Heres the thing though, this unnamed fur did follow the rules. He is at the edge of the group just as was requested. The fur that was blocked was in a very unfortunate location.

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Mewtwo's picture

Yyyyyup.  That's the one.  If he was following the rules, then yeah that's really bad luck for the other fur.

No votes yet
Protocollie's picture
This user is a Staff Member

While I certainly don't want to act as if your complaints don't matter, having not been there I'm not sure you really should be complaining based on hearsay.

While I don't speak for the people who organize the fursuit parade, all I can say is, you know... it's 800 suiters. Security and staff can help up to a point but a lot of making it run smoothly lies in the hands of the participants and requires that everyone behaves in a civil and considerate manner towards everyone else. There's over 800 people in that room, and they're all bunched into a big crowd, it is very hard to catch every incidence of being inconsiderate.

As for sneaking around to the front row, while it may be a little inconsiderate (as everyone would probably like to be in the front row) there's no assigned placement or anything, nobody did anything special to wind up up front and the placement is pretty much arbitrary, based loosely on when you arrive. I wouldn't get too upset because someone messed with that order. :]

No votes yet
K.P.'s picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

For the most part, this year's parade and photo went amazingly well.  Not only was it a huge number of fursuiters involved, but it went quickly with minimal problems.  Also changing the photo op to happening before the parade seemed to work extremely well for us.  Now there were announcements made before the photo was taken that if you can see the camera, then you'll be in the picture.  So most people were adjusting so that they could see the camera.

One thing I would suggest, is that people also look to be in the back row of the photo.  Looking at the image, I can see Pardus clearly and he is striking a nicer pose than most people on the front row.  There was no obstruction, and had something arisen, he could easily move to the side since there was nobody near him.

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

I might also note that I told people very clearly, "If you cannot see the camera, it cannot see you." 

Next year, I might also say, "If you have a flag or similar object, please hold it up now.  Now, is there a flag between anyone's face and the camera?  If so, you may beat down the person with the flag for the next ten seconds..."

No votes yet
Skirtandzy's picture

Just don't beat them to death, because then they cannot buy membership for next year.

Don't want to lose paying members now. Sticking out tongue

No votes yet
Trevorkitty's picture

Just be glad everyone is in fursuits! One of the few giant group pictures that doesn't have to worry about accidental blinking. In fact, I think it's been found that the larger the group (of humans), the more photos must be taken to ensure no blinkage. As it is exponential, a group this size would be pragmatically impossible.

But not with unblinking fursuits!

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

As our Fursuit Photo team can tell you, taking a picture of 800+ generally hyperactive fursuiters has its own challenges, beyond the blinking. Smiling

No votes yet
JBadger's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Not only was the NY Furs to the side as requested but we were to the back as well. Rumors are not you friend, I happen to see that both the flag person and tfe person behind the flag seems to be NY furs, but not sure not seeing the face.

No votes yet

-- The silly little ratel

WogerDog's picture

I would like to respond to this, being the fursuiter that is pictured above by Glelin.  Initially we were told that the flags would be to the sides of the group.  I was completly fine with that and did position myslef to the edge of the photo.  Few minutes before the picture was taken, a represenative told me and Jbadger (who held another flag) to move the back as the flag would have been cut on the sides of the photo (which when seeing the group photo, it wouldn't have). 

I repositioned myself with a another fur (who is a great friend of mine, and the one I unfortunately blocked) and did try to help hold up the flag and not obscure others.  It did work for photo one, but my friend did not hold it up for the 2nd or 3rd time, being complely strained from holding our arms up for 30 seconds straight. Unknown to my knowledge, she backed up behind the flag instead of going in front of me (or away from the flag, etc) and she thought she was still in the camera's view.

Only after the picture was posted did we (the obscured fursuiter and I) notice the problem of the result picture.  I still feel horrible that this happened to her and truely am sorry of what happened.

But please understand that I followed the rules and directions of the staff, but due to the confusion of trying to keep the flag on the side versus standing in the backrow, this unfortunately happened.  I love to represent my state pride, and hope that our or any other flag can still be represented next year without the cost of hiding another fur's exsistance in the parade.

Average: 4.5 (2 votes)
Glelin's picture

Don't worry man, I don't think the staff is about to ban flags. You guys were the only instance of this in the photo, and you weren't breaking any rules at all as far as I know.

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.