Second Life Panel, what happened?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
17 replies [Last post]
Trevorkitty's picture

This seems to be a recurring problem. I think there was one in 2008. None in 2009 (impromptu one held). A decent one at 2010, in the Pennsylvania room, and then none this year? Are there regular panelists who do it? If the problem is a lack of panelists willing to put it on, I'd so step forward. No idea what I'd do, but I'd do it anyways just to be sure it happened! I come to AC with a group of about 10-15 SL players, and all of which attended the 2010 meetup. Aryte Vesperia is notorious for bringing his posse along to those things too.

So my question is, why didn't it happen this year?

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Stahi's picture
This user is a Staff Member

I don't think anyone wanted to host it.  *shrug*

Trevorkitty's picture

That's a shame. I'll probably do it next year then!

No votes yet
Protocollie's picture

Submit a panel request!

All our panels are run by individuals with a passion for the topic who volunteer to make them happen - if you'd be willing to take on the burden, there's no doubt the con would give you the time. Smiling

Stahi's picture

Haha, should I run a "Meet Stahi" panel next year?

Protocollie's picture

The list of disclaimers we'd have to tack onto it would be enormous.

"Anthrocon is not responsible for any injuries, not limited to but including violent tossing to the floor, that may occur when meeting Stahi. Please secure all valuables. Stahi may not be appropriate for those on dialysis or with a heart condition. Stahi is not intended to treat, cure, or diagnose any disease or illness (with the exception of dull masquerade performances.)"

Stahi's picture

Addendum:  Anthrocon is also not responsible for any degree of butthurt caused when he turns his attention on you and begins a tirade about how you're creepy.   Do not taunt Happy Fun Stahi.

Skirtandzy's picture

Would this be one set location for this, or would this be everywhere?

No votes yet
Stahi's picture

EVERYWHEEEERE..

FOREEEEEVER...

No votes yet
Chef's picture

In 2010 all the panel consisted of was babyfurs getting on SL on a projector and talking to Corsi, it sucked horribly.

Roadknight's picture

Im glad i missed that then! *shudders*

No votes yet
Trevorkitty's picture

I was at 2010. I was under the impression that it was a super long alcoholics-anonymous style introduction, with Ordo taking up a major chunk of it. Many awkward moments were had.

I was thinking of making it more of a categorical discussion. start with a little intro about SL, then let people mingle in various categories (content creation, favorite gatherings, best sims for roleplay (PG D:<...I don't want anyone talking about their yiffscapades). I would probably make a plywood cube as a prop. In the background, a slideshow of popular furry areas and avatars. Snacks and drinks would be available for consumption (if I'm allowed, dunno if the westin has rules against that, or the con...my own money of course).

Also, I'd like to offer a free SL t-shirt or bag of goodies to anyone who attends. The tshirt would be an SL version of the 2012 AC t-shirt. Obviously I'd need permission from the con first!

My goal, make it NOT SUCK. At no point would we actually log on to SL. Doing that in a meet-n-greet is like logging on your AIM account in a board meeting and putting it on the main screen.

No votes yet
Cassander's picture

If you are not sure if someone else is running a panel about a certain topic, just ask. Contact K.P. for general stuff or Arrow Quivershaft for fandom panels like this one.

They're often quite busy, so be patient and persistant, but they'll help ya out with anything ya need to know.

Another thing you might try is looking up who ran the panel in previous years and contact them. I did all of these things and ended up running the therianthropy panel since the people who regularly run it weren't able to make it this year.

No votes yet
Roadknight's picture

I remember attending two seminars about Second Life that were run by the people who run Luskwood on there. They were very well run and non creepy. Maybe they could do so again?

No votes yet
Stahi's picture

Good luck with that.  Sticking out tongue

No votes yet
Istanbul's picture

I dunno. It's always been my mentality that a panel on <THING> should assume that at least a fair portion of the people attending it are curious about <THING> but have never actually gotten involved in it.

Some of my favorite things to do with panels are:

Invite people to introduce themselves - How long have you been using Second Life? What about it appeals to you?

Give a little history - When did Second Life come into being? Who makes it? What inspired it?

Discuss some of its attributes - What's the economy like? How does it work? What are some good ways to make Linden?

Offer some resources - What's a good place to get customized avatars? Where are some good dance clubs? Any little-known commands?

By getting your audience involved and going into some useful details, people who are interested in getting into Second Life will get a lot of information, and your veterans can help you to fill in some of the gaps that you will inevitably leave. (Don't forget to write down what they mention, so you can add it to the panel!)

And no, I don't use Second Life. This is simply information that can be applied to anything. Smiling

No votes yet
Trevorkitty's picture

The introduction part has been a weak point of the last panel. Over an hour was spent doing introductions and giving histories. At least one awkward moment was had ("Hi, I'm such and such, and I've probably yiffed half of you" *awkward silence*). Personally I don't trust the social introverts that are formed when online gaming meets furrydom to be great at keeping things interesting without guidance, so I'd like to see things a bit more...structured next year. I want to make it welcoming to the veterans, while also not leaving out newbies.

Oh, and lots of refreshments on my tab Laughing out loud

No votes yet
Istanbul's picture

This is why you keep intros brief and keep it moving. Look at the size of your audience; do you have a big crowd? Then it's probably best just to let people intro themselves by SL name, give a species, and move on. Smaller group? Probably okay to include a little more detail. There is no magic formula that works for every crowd, you've gotta improvise.

Also, the "yiffed half of you comment" should have gotten the speaker a dour look and something akin to, "Really? THAT'S how you introduce yourself?".

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.