The 2011 Registration feedback thread!

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
87 replies [Last post]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
mooncat's picture

I picked up my badge on Thursday(pre-reg supersponsor) around dinner time and had no problems whatsoever.  Smiling

No votes yet
Your rating: None

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
Kobuk D. Husky's picture

I had pretty much no problems getting my con badge and other stuff in the SuperSponsor line. The only thing I did initially miss was that I heard small glowy/flourescent octagon shaped badges: (Badge on right side of pic.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/icyhusky/ac2011/DSC00948.jpg

.....were being given out to Sponsors and/or Supersponsors and I missed getting one when I first picked up my stuff. I blame Blastdav for not giving me one initially. >.<  It wasn't until later when I was in fursuit that I heard about them and went back into line to get mine. Otherwise, I was quite satisfied with how registration went. I'll be sure to Pre-Reg for next year too. Smiling

No votes yet

Need help commissioning a fursuit? See my tutorial here!

http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,24176.0.html

Nicona Shadowwolf's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Those badges were being given out to supersponsors.  The reason that you didn't get one when you first got your reg stuff is that we did not receive them until some time after registration had opened.  Once we received them we started handing them out.

No votes yet

Director of Registration

Sage Firefox's picture

The only real thing that I can suggest is maybe moving the conbooks into a more visible location, rather than all the way at the end of registration where most people don't go during their run to pick up their badges.  If you didn't know ahead of time that they weren't in the bags, snagging one became a little bit of a hassle because of their location, and a lot of people didn't check their registration bags until after they were across the DLCC or back in their hotel rooms.

Some ideas on better locations are:  where the Furry Survey was setup on Thursday, at the beginning of the On-Site Registration line (to give them something to do while they stand in line ;D), etc.

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture
This user is a Contributor

Were the books not in the bags this year because (a) there wasn't time to stuff them, or (b) too many people didn't want them in previous years? Either one's a bit hard to believe...

No votes yet
Nicona Shadowwolf's picture

We have been receiving a lot of feedback that people were not using the con books and just discarding them.  This year it was decided not stuff them in the con bags and have them available separately so we could gauge how many actually wanted to have the con books.  This will allow AC to determine if it is worth it to continue printing up such a large number of con books (we actually stuffed ~5000 con bags this year) or if they could print up fewer copies and save quite a bit on printing costs.

No votes yet

Director of Registration

Chiaroscuro's picture

As Nicona Said. Our staff was amazingly on-point with Bag Stuffing this year; there would have been plenty time to stuff conbooks in the conbags as well.  This was a method of gauging interest in the conbook.

No votes yet
Trevorkitty's picture

The volunteer who checked you in was supposed to tell you where the conbooks were. Most of them did.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

We thought they were in a pretty good location, but we're working on a possibly better one for next year.. or pondering including them back in the bags. As it was, about 2/3 of attendees picked their conbooks up.

We think the furry Survey will probably be back in that same spot on Thursday though, it worked very well for them, they had record surveys turned in.

As for the beginning on the On-Site line: We get people every year who stand in that line, get to the terminals, see the cost of the con and turn around. We generally prefer people getting a conbook to have paid for it already. Smiling

No votes yet
WolfFort's picture

That table was most likely hidden by the large number of con goers picking up there badges.  

No votes yet
SDWolf's picture
This user is a Staff Member

I worked one of the pre-reg tables for a while. It seemed to go okay. Having some conbooks at the individual tables might be beneficial. Also, there were dozens of requests for multiple badge clips (whyfor, I know not), which we were told to DENY! (so I did, with blank look and polarized glasses, very US Customs Official Style). The lines cleared out ridiculously quickly. I think one of the only things we could do is convince people to pre-reg (duh), because the onsite registration lines were massive

No votes yet

"When it comes to applying computer science, it's not so much a science as it is an art... and occasionally hitting things with hammers when they don't work the way you want them to."

Trevorkitty's picture

I will never understand how people can make plans ahead of time for transportation and room, but not preregister. The room I book is always filled by March.

No votes yet
Istanbul's picture

I honestly can't think of a single flaw in registration, except that poor Chiaroscuro was running around like crazy, and the only way around that is more registration staff...which wouldn't have helped, since every possible seat was filled and he was doing things only Chiaroscuro could do. Poor guy.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

And this was a *mellow* year for me. I have very well-trained staff (Including three Assistant Directors) who know when and how to handle things on their own, and when I don't need to be called in. It keeps me busy, but it's all good. Smiling

No votes yet
Prisma Lin's picture

I had a next to flawless experience with registration this year. I pre-registered. My buddy however didn't the line seemed to take forever to get through registration. I told him next year if he plans to room with us, hes pre-registrering cause panda doesnt like to wait around. 

besdies that! awesome!! Maybe next year for the lines for pre-registration, you should make the signs for what line to be in more clear. Cause if the line is 10-20 people deep, you can't see that little sign in the front of the table. I was a-be or whatever... But SILLY panda was in the wrong line... D:

No votes yet

FOR GREAT SCIENCE!

Chiaroscuro's picture

We're trying! That's why we had the hand-carried signs at Pre-reg this yearl; those hopefully were passed back to the final person in each line. I did pass those out to each and every line so that people would know what letter line they were in. I suspect we drained the lines, people left the hand-signs on the tables.... and then as lines refilled they were not passed out again. Sticking out tongue

--Chi

No votes yet
MothMonarch's picture

I got down to registration fairly quickly after it opened this year. From what I saw, everybody was doing a phenomenal job. One of my friends (who had an attending membership) actually got done faster than me (I sponsored)! Not that I mind. It just means the lines were moving at a good pace. Smiling

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

A minor complaint: have better communication with the people handling the late-night badge pickups.  While they told me that I could pick up the con book at Registration, nothing was said about the glow-in-the-dark badge for Supersponsors.  I didn't even know one existed this year until I saw the photos here.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Chiaroscuro's picture

I might've not explained that thoroughly to the late-night Ops crew. Those showed up late and thus weren't in the packets; ditto the wands. Next year late-arriving materials need a little smoother of handling.

--Chi

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

The chairman has little tolerance for late-arriving materials in the first place.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

The Wands showed up in the nick of time though, I'll say! The handoff there was at 10:30am, and registration opened early this year at 10:45am for Sponsor/Supersponsor.

Agreed though.

No votes yet
nekowafer's picture

I was there Thursday afternoon, and I pre-registered. Finding the table I needed to get my badge from actually took longer than getting it. There was no line - but I couldn't see the sign on the table at all. I had to get close to even read it, and I have good eyesight. So maybe larger, easier to read table signs?

I ended up standing in line with friends that were registering on-site that same day. After I made fun of them thoroughly for not pre-registering, of course. The line took forever but it was to be expected. I know some people had problems with the height of the computers, what with there being no chairs and having to get on their knees or bend over to use them. And I think the credit card machines had some issues. Other than that I think it went pretty smoothly!

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

We've limited by the signs needing to be 8.5x11, and here's why:

Every year, Pre-reg closes about two and a half weeks before the convention. If we're fast, we get the final data downloaded two weeks before, and massage it properly into the sign-in sheets. Until we have that final data, we cannot make the sign-in sheets for Pre-reg. Therefore.. we don't know how the names divide up between the 8 lines until we've printed the sign-in sheets, divided them evenly, and noted where names start and begin. This usually gets very last-minute of a process, and we're not done until a few days before the convention at best[*1]; where there's no time to print up anything at large-scale. All the signs you saw were in fact printed off my home printer, at that.

I'll tweak next year's design of the signs to try and allow bigger letters; but we've got a real limit in how big those letters can be.

[*1] This year it happened at the convention, on Wednesday evening about 10:15pm.

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture

With all of the artists running around, if it's only eight signs, why can't somebody just draw huge letters on them instead of mucking around with printer fonts?

No votes yet
PeterCat's picture

How about printing a set of 26 letters, each on a sheet of paper? Along with 8 sheets of hyphens. Laminate, then assemble with clear shipping tape, using the hyphen sheet as a sort of backing/bridging support. Cello! (err, viola! err, voila!)

Or pay 42¢ each to have 11x17 prints on cardstock done at FedEx Office. I submitted my online order for the Art Show signs Wednesday at 6:30 am and they were ready later that morning.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

Chiaroscuro's picture

It's not single letter by letter, to note; I'ts "A-Chr", 'Chu-Elg', "Ema-Hit", and the like. But, cardstock 11x17 mmmight work. I'll have to ponder.

No votes yet
Rakedu's picture

Maybe you've considered this already, but just throwing it out there...

What if you just go by single letters? Or use doubles to break 1 or 2 letters if you have to. 

Most places where I've had to line up by name use this method. Sure the books won't be exactly equal, but will that cause major problems with line length, spread over a couple days?

As an attendee walks up, it is easier to see a single letter and know what line to get into. From what I observed, quite a few people walk up and have to think about which line to get into, and some still end up in the wrong place. If they only have to think about 1 letter instead of 3, it might be smoother.

Plus, you get to have larger, pre-made signs.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

I might have to try that in future years, but it's a little tricky. As it is now, I have some major data massaging to do, *then* start printing out the pages of signin sheets.. which all need to have the same big header of "I agree to abide by, blah blah." Then, it's "Printing: page 1 of 112." and we do the sorting by amounts afterwards.

I could print out a letter at a time, though that's sure to generate some extra paper, and 'Q' and 'X' aren;t going to take up anything worth a whole sheet. I will consider it a bit. though.. well, this adds to work after I have the data but before I can start printing, and that is a tightly-bounded, very occupied bit of time.

In short: Good idea. Deadlines might make it tricky. I'll see about trying it.

--Chi

No votes yet
khurynn's picture

elevating the signs a little higher off the ground might help too... so people can see them from a distance above the long lines/crowds

No votes yet
WolfFort's picture

*nods in a agreement* 

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

It's a consistent request, but it's a tough one to enact. We just this year got the spiffy new signs, above-the-crowd readable, for "On-Site Registration", "Sponsors/Supersponsors", "Pre-Registration", and "Dealer Registration". But those were not cheap, and I don;t think we can afford a half-dozen more for every table. We can;t use balloons, we can;t tape thigns to the windows, etc. It's hard to get the signs above crowd level.

--Chi

No votes yet
WolfFort's picture

and you can not use ladders with out union help correct?

My very last suggestion is get three 8/9 foot polestands with a heavy base or water filled.

Run a small rope between them and put the signs through it.  

Looking at my pics there are steel pipes that run vertically by the windows, if you are allow to use them. Two could be used.

No votes yet
K.P.'s picture

Just put them on chef's hats.  Smiling

No votes yet
WolfFort's picture

HAHA!

No votes yet
khurynn's picture

I was thinking either music stands or easels (like what we use at the art show for some of our signage).  Easy to setup/teardown, transportation would be another issue though.

No votes yet
Bryantfox's picture

The foot traffic in the pre reg areas was really chaotic, but so far as I've hear there are no more standing dividers left from the onsite reg, maybe increase the price more for no pre registering, since it's always so backed up? That being said the staff were like a well oiled machine sir, I was in and out with a badge so fast and with so little difficulty it was mildly disorienting. Or maybe that was the jet lag.

Also, I know its a longshot, but if someone just found out about the cool glowing badges now and never got theirs, is there someone we can paypal money to so we can get one, pretty please?

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

We do use every stanchion for On-Site Registration, indeed.

We are pondering our options for price increases for 2012 (There will be at least *some* prices going up; we'll let folks know). There is and will be cheaper prices for Pre-Registration, and we encourage the heck out of folks to pre-register.. but with about 20% of people each year as first-time Anthrocon attendees, we really have little way to encourage everyone. And some people do simply have plans that cannot be certain until just before the convention. We want to make On-site and Pre-reg attractive options- while keeping Pre-reg cheaper, faster, and more convenient.

Pre-Reg tends to be chaotic a bit, but because there is very prompt turnover, it does clear out promptly. As you've experienced.

The 2011 tags may have some available in the online constore for purchase yet; not sure if thye had any left at the end of the convention.

--Chi

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.