The 2011 Registration feedback thread!

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
87 replies [Last post]
Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

It's as simple as that: If you had any feedback, suggestions, complaints, or encouragements.. please let us know. We're looking to further improve for 2012. I'll answer all questions in time and with full attention (Staff and regular board contributors: Please hang back on this one, and let me field things).

We did field record attendees (4400), with a record number of One-day attendees as well. I like to think the innovations this year (one-day stickers, overhead signage, conbook relocation, a few more behind-the-scene changes) worked well; But we want to know how we can make them even better. Please tell us!

--Chiaroscuro, Anthrocon Registration

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
MiltoniusPrime's picture
This user is a Staff Member

I had zero problems getting my badge.  Pre-registered, very efficient lines, got my bag and left.  When I filled out my survey while waiting for a friend to register, the line seemed to move fairly quickly.  Kudos.  And I recognized you by the hat.

No votes yet
Protocollie's picture

The only thing I can say is that it almost seems like reg should start as early as possible on thursday, the hotel was bumpin (by all accounts) on wednesday and it would make the initial line and wait a lot shorter if people could start filtering in around 10am on Thursday and getting their badges, because they line up around then anyway and the on-site reg line gets imposing.

Now, I know those people should be pre-registering, buuuuut... Eye-wink

Other than that, all I can say is you did a great job as always. My hat's off to you - I couldn't handle that kind of stress, personally. :]

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

This is as early as possibel on Thursday, that's the thing. Smiling Our official open times were 12 noon for Pre-Reg and 2pm for On-Site.. and we beat both of those times by about an hour, amazingly. It's hard to get any earlier- I have morning meetings, cash drawers need to make their way to registration, and one piece of conbag insert (Parade route) only made it to Registration in the late morning.

Or, to put it another way, I can only show up yay early on Wednesday, and X amount of stuff needs doing before Reg opens. And then some sleep. Smiling

No votes yet
Protocollie's picture

Well, then, maybe it's about time you move into that empty broom closet in the DLCC and live there.

But in all seriousness, fair enough!

No votes yet
SDWolf's picture

Sleep? SLEEP?! What is this sleep thing you speak of? I kind of forgot to do that the first four days I was there. Then I almost died, so I came back to the light of 6-2-1

No votes yet

"When it comes to applying computer science, it's not so much a science as it is an art... and occasionally hitting things with hammers when they don't work the way you want them to."

desteredra's picture

Or, to put it another way, I can only show up yay early on Wednesday, and X amount of stuff needs doing before Reg opens. And then some sleep.

Not to mention that he uses yo number of security staffers on hand to point people in the right direction, which means he can't go too much earlier than the scheduled open time without giving security some time to put together a team.

As much of a scramble as it was from the security end, however, i think the gradual line buildup was more because of registration opening early than anything else, and it may not work forever.  When reg opens earlier than many registrants expect, it forces people to line up and register a little more gradually.  This is a lot harder to accomplish with on-site registration, however, because folks normally show up crazy early anyway.

No votes yet
Slegiar Dryke's picture

that hat does stand out XD makes me wonder if chiaro's a cook or something as a day job x3 but moving on to the important stuff, gotta say the same, absolutely no troubles getting my badge and stuff. was a little confused by the uv reactive badges at first, cause mine had a cover or something still on it that i didn't realize due to no visible edge. however, seeing as I don't know if this was just the one I got or not, and someone helped me get it off (no fingernails, darn bad habits XP) I have to say I really can't complain ^^ it was an awesome souvenier and the whole rest of the process was smooth. keep up the awesome work guys ^^

No votes yet

we all have magic in one way or another, you simply have to learn how to unlock your personal flavor of it

Chiaroscuro's picture

Yes, I cook in my day job as well. The hat is worn so they can find me as I try to escape to help me stand out in a crowd.

In 2009 we had little assembly guides with the Tags; this year we skipped 'em. They're a little effort to peel off, indeed.

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

He's lying.  His head is shaped like that.

Average: 5 (1 vote)
WolfFort's picture

Thursday seemed to be more efficient than last year from my POV. I help out till about 3 pm.

There was a few that ask for another AC 2011 program booklets. Which there was no extra as far as I knew.

I did not see where the drinking water was Thursday, so I drank bottle water.

The peanut butter toffee stuff was pretty good. Smiling

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

We will be adjusting the amount of published materials. Amazingly, we probably stuffed too many conbags, and were jsut pulling pocket programs out of them towards the end. Smiling

It was Chocolate Espresso Bean Toffee Bars. no peanut butter. So delicious and invigorating. :9

No votes yet
K.P.'s picture

So Chi,  I have to say..I spoke with a supersponsor, and they said they were in and out of Supersponsor pre-reg in 20 seconds.

UNACCEPTABLE......10 seconds or less!  Eye-wink

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

Sir yes sir!

No votes yet
desteredra's picture

*chuckles*

Yes, i remember directing a few folks to the right onsite registration line:

"OK, down here...You see this overwhelming lack of line?  This is your overwhelming lack of line.  Of course if you want, you could come back later and see if the wait is any shorter."  Eye-wink

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

Heehee! Laughing out loud

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

well I had to wait a few minutes because there was no one at the table when I came around 7pm or so .But  a 2-3 minute wait wasnt so bad. I think to be fair I probably walked  upto the table the one time it was unstaffed for a minute.. I didnt really like having to  go grab a con book off to the side.thats an easy way to forget to get one

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

7pm at which day, Rick- Thursday or Friday?

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

Thursday. I walked up to the supersponsor line and one guy was ahead of me  who I think had some issue someone walked away from the table to ask about .Like I said it wasnt any big wait.It was a minor annoyance I figured i`d tease you guys about .since as I walked up to the table I was all like "hey no line! hey wait theres no one helping me either ". I dont know if it was exactly 7pm .It could have been 730 or something.I know it was after 630 and before 830.

No votes yet
Liyoht's picture

Just one minor issue, was not offered the choice of a rope to go with my sponsor badge. When I asked about getting one was directed to the dealers room and told to buy one. Yet a friend also a sponsor was given a rope next day without having to ask. A simple we are out please try back tomorrow would of been better.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

...a rope? I was unaware that we gave out lanyards at any time this year, we were simply distributing badge clips with badges. I'm not at all sure whom gave you that, or where they got it. (O_o)

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

I'm confused, too. We purchased no lanyards this year.  There might have been some leftovers lying in a box somewhere that a registration staffer found and decided to give away just to get rid of, but that would have been all.

No votes yet
Sgt Steve's picture

I had a few extra lanyards in my personal kit and was giving them away in con-ops. That's probably where the fellow got his.

No votes yet
JBadger's picture

There was some left over from the last two years I handed out at the info desk to the first 150 or so fursuit badges.

These were left over it seems for 3 years and my thoughts is why should they go back into storage yet again?

Average: 4 (1 vote)

-- The silly little ratel

Chiaroscuro's picture

Good show, sir! The correct decision.

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

I like lanyards myself.Having a new one each year would be nice.Cost would be an issue of course. I dont know if Anthrocon is big enough to warant sponsors who would pay to advertise on them or not though.

No votes yet
Trevorkitty's picture

I think this was a lesson learned already, but the new signs need to be in non-traffic locations. At least one of them was already broken on the bottom pole, proving that while awesome, they aren't heavy-duty, so should be protected. This is something to think about in setup next year!

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

We shall have to be mindful of the locations of those signs (Which were our dear Chairman's idea). They did seem to work very well, all told.

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

......broken....?

BROKEN?????

My brand-new, expensive custom-made standing banners got BROKEN???

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

One was apparently stepped upon and bent. It was fixed with Duct Tape to complete operational capacity.

No votes yet
Skirtandzy's picture

"It was fixed with Duct Tape"

Duct tape, the universal tool.

No votes yet
Trevorkitty's picture

I think I used like 10 ft of duct tape.

JUST TO BE SURE.

No votes yet
WolfFort's picture

Yes. I can confirm that it did indeed look, as if 10 feet of duct tape was on that sign. Smiling

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

It did give me great pleasure to be able to claim that. (mind, I'd have been happier if someone didn't STEP ON THE THING)

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

Do we know who stepped on it?

No, never mind.  Don't tell me.  It's better if I don't know.

No votes yet
SDWolf's picture

Damn. I wish someone would have called me. I had the ULTIMATE duck tape for a furry convention. Spotted Leopard Duck Tape. I bought two rolls specifically for this Con. It would have been cooler, and would have restored the sign to 150% operating capacity. (Such is the power of ENGINEERING!)

No votes yet

"When it comes to applying computer science, it's not so much a science as it is an art... and occasionally hitting things with hammers when they don't work the way you want them to."

CyanTPC's picture

I had no trouble checking in at all.  No one else was in line when I got my badge.  I also figured the guy in the chef uniform on was Chi.  He could be seen from space with that hat on.

I volunteered to sign people in, and things seemed to have gone soothly overall.  I think I did those whose last names began with K-M.

No votes yet
Skippy DI's picture

Spent the most time working the line at Reg and I have a few suggestions to smooth out the process.. will DM you with some notes on the subject.

Other than that, I thought the process went the best it ever has.

No votes yet

-----------------------------------------------
David M Stein, DI

"Not Unlike the Toaster, I Control the Darkness"
-- Abby Normal, "You Suck"

Skirtandzy's picture

I t was a pleasent trip through registration. Since I pre-regestered, but also showed up later on Thursday, there was almost no wait to get the badge.

The way it was set up, seemed to actually keep people in their necessary lines, instead of a large crowd of people, which worked out great. 

No votes yet
Rakedu's picture

Opening pre-reg early worked well. From what I saw, the 5 or 10 people in each line were cleared out in no time, and I never saw any of the lines get too long after that.

Perhaps next year, schedule opening later, so that you can open even earlier!

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

I try to keep opening times at the appropriate point of "By this time, I'm SURE we'll be open even with a modest amount of catastrophe." Beating the times is good, but in 2010 for example. On-Site Registration opened exactly at the posted time of 2pm.

No votes yet
Chanur's picture

Sadly enough, there are other departments that have to be ready to go before Reg can hand out the first Badge.

And I'm already coming into town on Tuesdayn as it is.

Chanur. Head of Black Ops.

No votes yet

Is it just me, or is this little white room getting smaller?

SDWolf's picture

Black Ops. at Anthrocon? The possibilities are endless... I want in.

No votes yet

WolfFort's picture

o.O

No votes yet
MothballWombat's picture

There was a small complication with my name situation this year -- I contacted the reg people ahead of time to notify them and when I got there (dealer registration) it was handled so smoothly and politely. :3 I was so relieved & pleased, especially since it could have been a potentially awkward situation.

Totally no complaints here at all. Quite the opposite! You guys are amazing.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

When in doubt, 'Get in touch with Registration first' is a helpful strategy indeed. Smiling

No votes yet
Lulian's picture

I had less than a minute wait in the pre-registration line on the first day. (During the early morning hours too!) Quickest line I've ever been through at any con ever. Eye-wink

No votes yet
Jake_Lioner83's picture

I didn't got any problems with getting my badge,since I was pre-registered this year and there wasn't any line on table,where I needed to claim my badge.

Well I got lost my original badge during the con,but getting replacement badge was easy as well. Luckily I had reciept letter with badge number with me at the con.

Nothing bad to say to you guys,cause I was satisfied for the service what registration staff gave me with replacement badge.

Overall great work!

No votes yet
Zodiac's picture

Getting my badge was super fast and easy Smiling

No votes yet
rainbow's picture

My third time attending, but first time pre-registering, and I am so glad! I got there very late Friday. Registration was closed and I thought I wouldn't be able to get my badge until morning, but as it turned out, it was a quick trip to con-ops, picked up my badge, and off to the dance!

Thank you!

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

Late-night badge pickup for Pre-Registered attendees has seemed to work very well. ConOps has nicely detailed instructions (finally I printed and laminated 'em this year) about how to help out for that late-night processing, when it's thankfully just a trickle of very late, but usually very glad to get badge, arrivals. Smiling

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.