Anthrocon adds new safety features!

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
58 replies [Last post]
Unclekage's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

The health and well-being of our attendees is of the absolute highest importance to us.  After all, Anthrocon is all about having fun, and nothing spoils that fun more than a twisted ankle or an overheated fursuit or "I'm too old to dance like that anymore!" 

The Dorsai Irregulars are the finest Safety and Security crew that the world has to offer, but as Anthrocon grows even those tireless heroes need a sidekick to help out in a pinch.  With the cooperation of the David L. Lawrence Convention Center and the City of Pittsburgh, we have arranged to have some folks hanging out with us whose sole job will be to come a-runnin' when we need a hand.

(+) THE ROOFTOP TERRACE WILL BE OPEN TO ANTHROCON ATTENDEES!  Hours will be posted on the doors or nearby.  There will be some helpful DLCC staffers stationed up there to make sure that nobody runs into any trouble and they will be happy to point out some of the features of the city and the surrounding scenery.

(+) Our beloved Allegheny County Deputy Kisner will be joining us as always in the Westin lobby to help fend off any Blue Meanies, and this year he's bringing along a colleague that has been eager to come see Anthrocon for himself.  He'll be hanging out in the DLCC during the dances in case any Blue Meanies get past Mr. Kisner.  We asked him if he's allowed to dance while in uniform.  His reply:  "Long as there are no pictures."  Cameras off, then, if he starts feeling the beat!  The Allegheny County Sheriffs have always been very fun and furry-friendly and Anthrocon is grateful to them for coming in during their off-hours to help us keep things safe.

(+) Pittsburgh city paramedics will be on station to patch up any booboos or to get out the ice packs if that fursuit zipper gets stuck.  There will also be a fully-equipped ambulance standing by just in case that zipper really gets stuck.  Our chairman, who has been involved for many years in emergency services, subscribes to the belief that "if you are prepared for something, it will not happen" and since we want everyone who attends our convention to go home with happy memories, we are going to great lengths to ensure that we're prepared.

Average: 5 (14 votes)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Exkhaniber's picture

I bet all this cost an arm and a leg. o.O

What are "blue meanies"?  I don't know the reference, if that's supposed to be a joke.

No votes yet

-The two saddest words in the English language are "Good bye"

Recherei's picture

A reference to the animated movie "Yellow Submarine", featuring the songs, (but not the voices), of the Beatles.  They do make a cameo appearance at the very end.

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

We must be old.  T.T

No votes yet
Giza's picture

Average: 5 (2 votes)

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

Nicona Shadowwolf's picture

But I don't want to report to Carrousel.

No votes yet

Director of Registration

Prisma Lin's picture

I just watched this movie not 2 days ago... RUN RUNNER!!!

No votes yet

FOR GREAT SCIENCE!

charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

I am sorely tempted to repeat the line from Yellow Submarine that puts down the Na'vi wannabees...

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Ron Bauerle's picture

I recognized the name, but having never seen YS, forgot the reference.

Per Wiki:

Quote:
The majority are furry, six-clawed creatures, but some are humanoid -
albeit with blue faces, and a taller stature.

Hmm, not only do they seem like they'd belong at AC, but they sound familiar...

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

It's your membership fees at work!  Also, many of the deputies and a large number of city paramedics like to bring their families along when they are off duty to see the fursuit parade so we sorta-kinda get them for free then.  Smiling

No votes yet

Bravo.  Glad to see what steps the AC board is taking to keep the attendees safe.  Thank you.

No votes yet

Director of Registration

Soggy Otter's picture

Last year we had a special phone number that connected you directly to con-ops, and I thought that it was an awesome idea!

Are we going to do that again?

Although I don't volunteer/staff at AC, (FurFright is my "working" con), this will be my seventh furry-con, and I know what to look out for!

Soggy Otter

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Unclekage's picture

Yep.  832-FUR-OPS-1

No votes yet
Slegiar Dryke's picture

hopefully we won't have a reaccurance of the infamous "Mr. H" incident like last year. my friends and i got a chance to be up there for just a little bit (and notice a broken window next to the elevator), and I can't remember if it was a few hours later, or the next day that access was cut off Sad

No votes yet

we all have magic in one way or another, you simply have to learn how to unlock your personal flavor of it

Protocollie's picture
This user is a Staff Member

NOBODY, not even Mr. H, would be stupid enough to repeat that incident.

I really, really hope for humanity's sake that no second person would be that stupid, at least. I've already been let down once.

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

I hope you're right, Protocollie, but I remember Robert Heinlein's axiom, "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

Slegiar Dryke's picture

even better, if they make it idiot proof, the world will make a better idiot

No votes yet

we all have magic in one way or another, you simply have to learn how to unlock your personal flavor of it

TanorFaux's picture

Hey, what exactly did happen with that incident? I was at AC last year, I may not have noticed it or forgot it.

No votes yet
TanorFaux's picture

Hey, what was that Mr. H incident by the way? I was at AC last year, but I probably did not notice this or forgot it. I know it happened sometime Saturday since thats when I found the rooftop closed. Things like this amuse me =P *looked at posts below* Ahh so it's one of those guys attempting parkour is it? =P

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

It happened Thursday afternoon/evening and all that anyone has been told was that someone (Mr. H) did something both incredibly stupid and dangerous on the roof of the DLCC.  This caused the DLCC to ban us from the roof for the duration of the con.

No votes yet

Slegiar Dryke's picture

from what i remember, i think the person in question had jumped the fence around the edge of the roof, and crawled out on a strut or something that was sticking out from the edge. not sure if this is 100% of the facts about the situation but for the most part all we can really do is speculate about the entirety of the situation

No votes yet

Trying to speculate on what exactly happened is pointless as most of the speculation will be incorrect.  The jist of the story is that Mr. H, while on the roof, did something very stupid and completely against any form of common sense which not only caused the roof to be closed to thousands of furs but also caused a lot of trouble for the AC board and staff.  I think it would be best to leave it at that as there is really no reason or purpose in discussing it further.  The important lesson to learn is to just follow the rules and use some common sense.  Failing to do so can not only cause a lot of trouble for others but can also cut your AC experience short.

Average: 4 (1 vote)

Director of Registration

Glelin's picture

That incident had nothing to do with Parkour. Parkour is not to be associated with that incident. Kthxbai :3

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Protocollie's picture

no, more like a juggalo trying to get attention.

No votes yet
Nevask's picture

I am so glad the roof is open this year, the blue lights make for great photographs. ^.^

I was worried do to the incident on the roof last year, they wouldnt ever open it again. I am so happy to hear that its been reopened to us. :3

No votes yet

Look me up on Fur Affinity,Deviant Art, Weasyl, even Youtube!

Sgt Steve's picture

The DLCC responds to good treatment. When problems arise, Anthrocon - the staff, concom, security, and attendess - all react quickly and effectively. This in turn keeps the DLCC flexible. It's a win-win sorta thing. Hence their willingness to work with us on getting the terrace access again.

Hmm . . . should I tell this story here? Nah, lets make a separate post of it: Your DLCC in Action.

No votes yet
SquiRoFL's picture

The rooftop is open this year.....except, have any of you checked the weather forecast for the week AC is? it's supposed to be thuderstorming almost the whole weekend.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Pittsburgh+PA+USPA1290 

No votes yet
TanorFaux's picture

I checked the weather and it only wants to rain for Friday into Saturday morning Smiling 60% chance. But the weather can change at a moment's notice so it might be good ^^ but at least it won't be as hot as last year so that's good news Smiling especially for suiters.

No votes yet
Glelin's picture

Worry not. It is still far enough away that the weather forecast is likely to change. Either for the better or the worse.

If it gets worse, well it was already going to rain in the first place. If it gets better, then its something to celebrate!

So from where I stand, I can only see it staying the same or getting better.

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Unclekage's picture

The weather knows full well not to piss me off.

No votes yet
Sgt Steve's picture

This is the midwest. No weather forecast is even vaguely reliable at five days out, and they're still pretty dicey at three. Check again on June 21 or 22.

No votes yet
Skirtandzy's picture

Ok, so you have ice packs for when the zipper sticks, ambulance for when it really sticks...

Did you call in the Jaws of Life when the zipper does not budge at all?

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

First we call BigBlueFox with his excellent video rig and prompt YouTube uploading.

Then about ten minutes later, the Jaws of Life.

--Chi

Average: 4 (1 vote)
U T Tiger's picture

LOL!

Or perhaps, depending on their species we could hang them up in the kitchen meat locker.  ;-)

No votes yet

The original scuba diving tiger

Istanbul's picture

So, um...in the context of the convention, what is a blue meanie? I know what it is in a Beatles context.

No votes yet
Protocollie's picture

Someone engaging in less-than-savory behavior in public that would endanger other convention-goers or put the con at risk.

If you simply don't do anything to hurt anyone else and don't break the law, you don't need to worry about being classified as one. Smiling

No votes yet
Istanbul's picture

*chuckle* If I, of all people, don't know how to behave at a convention? Then we're all in trouble. Laughing out loud

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

Another way to look at it: If you know who the Blue Meanies were in the Beatles' context, it would be anyone who forced the Blue Meanies to show up at Anthrocon...

No votes yet

mapdark's picture

That's good to hear! We REALLY don't need another Mister H incident! 

No votes yet

Xenia Onatopp , she's all woman Sticking out tongue

SDWolf's picture

Okay, forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is Mr. H? Now you've got me curious to know Eye-wink

No votes yet

"When it comes to applying computer science, it's not so much a science as it is an art... and occasionally hitting things with hammers when they don't work the way you want them to."

mapdark's picture

Dude who went over the railing last year on the Convention center roof? Causing its closure for the whole lenght of the con.

Kage wanted to say his name but was cut off by other people at the table and finally only gave the first letter.

hence , mister H.

Also , in our local group we kept this as some sort of inside joke-name for annoying furries who ruin fun for everyone else.

No votes yet

Xenia Onatopp , she's all woman Sticking out tongue

SDWolf's picture

Ugh, I am guilty of something I hate... I came into a conversation, and didn't read the posts above me thoroughly, and then asked a question that had already been posed. Take me away! *whimper*

No votes yet

"When it comes to applying computer science, it's not so much a science as it is an art... and occasionally hitting things with hammers when they don't work the way you want them to."

Glelin's picture

You're fine.

No votes yet

SDWolf's picture

Ugh. That sort of idiocy disgusts me. I hope he didn't go over like the edge of the building? Suicide at Anthrocon probably would dampen our public support.

No votes yet

charlieg's picture

No.  He was either showing off or just making a fool of himself.  Basically, he did something extremely stupid and/or self-serving and got everyone else banned from the convention center roof last year.  I am certain Kage had to use all of his powers of persuasion to get us permitted back on the roof this year.

No votes yet

Unclekage's picture

I offered them Grandma Kage's homemade chocolate-chunk butter cookies.

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

And those aren't part of your powers of persuasion?  Evil

No votes yet

Rover T. Mutt's picture

I would imagine they were one of his most powerful forms of persuassions.

-Mr Mutt

No votes yet
desteredra's picture

Mr. H's behavior was extremely stupid, definitely, but more a case of "What do you mean, it's not safe?"  My understanding was that he saw a shot he really wanted to get with his camera and decided that the best way to get it would be to climb outside the railing on the roof.

I'm not sure if i'm at liberty to speak of just what consequences were drawn up for the gentleman, so i won't go into specifics.  It suffices to say that they were both stern and fitting the specific situation, and i doubt we'll be seeing him at anthrocon anytime soon.

No votes yet
krin's picture

Please keep all arms, legs, and heads inside the con at all times.

Should you choose to disembark the convention, please use the marked exits provided on the ground floor or the skybridge.

Trained Dorsai will be standing by to help you in exitting, should you need assistance.

Laughing out loud

No votes yet
U T Tiger's picture

And as anyone who has ever visited the Jersey shore knows all to well, Watch the Tram Car Please!.

No votes yet

The original scuba diving tiger

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.