Art Track - Announcements

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
10 replies [Last post]
K.P.'s picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

5dsc_8991_2000_x_3008

Hi all!

With Anthrocon 2011 just around the corner, I thought I might whet your appetite for some of this year's Art Track panels.  As everyone is aware, the content of Anthrocon's programming is fully dependant on the contributions of our attendees, and the fandom.  This year, we are delighted that some very prominent names in the fandom will be hosting some events.  But, there is a special caveat about these events.

One of the difficulties with the art track, is that many of our notable artists are busy throughout the weekend working in the Dealer Room.  With this being their income, it is naturally difficult for them to leave to host panels.  Artists, we have heard your requests, and have worked out an ability to allow art panels to be held on THURSDAY evening...to allow you to contribute to Anthrocon programming without having an adverse impact on your dealer room presence. 

To that end, I would like to very much thank artists such as The Gneech, Heather Bruton, Blotch, Sara Palmer, Diana Stein, Chilly Mouse, and the many others who are giving their time towards Anthrocon's programming.  We are still organizing the art track events, but here is a sample of the wonderful panels that we will have available:

Watercolors and Colored Pencils for Dummies (2 sessions)

Developing an Art Style

Photography for Artists

Inspiration in Art

Making Graphic Novels and Comics

Aboriginal Art: Analysis of Technique and Execution

I'd also like to announce that we have arranged for Live Figure Drawing events.  These will all be held on Thursday evening.  There will be a standard model session, a fursuit model session, and a nude model session.  The nude session will be for artists 18 and over.  We will be required to check your membership badge to ensure that you are over 18 to attend that session.  There will be no photography or videography allowed in this session, and we will be controlling access to the event room.  We do apologize for the tight security on this event, however for those that have experienced a nude modelling class before, you will know how incredibly valuable it can be to have a live model to draw musculature, form, and figure.  We only wish to ensure that the session will be comfortable for you and for the model(s).  Only those who will be actively drawing will be allowed access to this event.  Please be certain that you have your drawing materials with you to enter the event.

Everyone, please stay tuned for more information.  Our art track is more dynamic and exciting than ever this year, and there is yet more to come!

KP

Anthrocon Programming Director

Average: 5 (3 votes)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Vulpes Rex's picture
This user is a Contributor

I know it is late, too late to make a suggestion for this year, at any rate; but I'm hoping that there is already a panel planned for a specific topic.

I've been known to occasionally bid on an item - or two - presented in the artshow.  After close examination of some of the artwork which I have been lucky enough to win, I have discovered that many artists, whatever natural talent and learned skills they may apply to making the art, seem to have never learned how to make that art properly ready to display and to sell.  Most of the illustrative work presented in the artshow is matted, and most of that is usually mounted on some sort of backing - but much of it is poorly done, with materials practically guaranteed to cause long-term degradation to the artwork itself.  And it can be off-putting to a buyer who spends $500 for a beautiful work of colored pencil, Ink, and watercolor or acrylic, who must then spend more time removing the bad and then remounting it, than the artist actually spent creating it.

So- is there any plan for someone - preferably one of our professional artists, but in any case someone who knows what they are doing - to present a "Preparing finished art for display and sale - mounting, matting, and framing your art" presentation?

(I might have made this suggestion earlier, but had fears of Kage responding, "Excellent suggestion!  When do you want to Host it?")

No votes yet
K.P.'s picture

I currently don't have a panel listed for "Art Presentation for shows and sale".  If you can find an artist willing to host such a panel, please send them our way quickly.  The schedule is filling nicely with quite a well rounded set of events, and we would need to get their info so that the panel could be scheduled in an appropriate time.

KP

No votes yet
Vulpes Rex's picture

Quote:
If you can find an artist willing to host such a panel, please send them our way quickly.

- Aaaand I got nothin'; "No Joy" in my hunt.  If you were holding a possible slot, release it, so you can finalize your grid. 

No votes yet
PeterCat's picture

That might run into the same scheduling quandary as the other art panels: The intended audience is artists, but many of them will be either busy in the Dealers Room or Artist Alley during the day, or with homework at night, and on Thursday they're likely to want to go to one of the other panels.

Glen Wooten has prepared a nice handout for Comic-Con's art show, which can be downloaded from http://www.comic-con.org/cci/forms/cci11_artshow_display.pdf. I'll ask Glen if he'll let me include the first two pages in the paperwork I send to the Art Show artists (or possibly just the new ones) with a link to the full file.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

Vulpes Rex's picture

Quote:
That might run into the same scheduling quandary as the other art panels: The intended audience is artists, but many of them will be either busy...during the day,...and on Thursday they're likely to want to go to one of the other panels.

Yes, i'm discovering that general problem.  Those artists arriving Thursday will be occupied with both setting up their tables, and hanging their artwork on their show panels, if the support frames and pegboards are assembled early enough; and of course there is the basic problem of arriving on time via airplane, and getting their room arrangements taken care of.

I had thought of approaching Glen - but I don't even see Fantasy Art by Little Paw in the list of Dealers this year.  His handout is perhaps the second-best reference which I've seen intended for Artists - right after the work written by Terry Whittier, which I believe used to be auto-posted monthly to the Usenet Newsgroup, Alt.fan.furry. from your home-page.  His tips and advice from those articles certainly helped me a lot.  I don't know if he comes to AnthroCon, but he could communicate!

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture

Here's Terry's FAQ

No votes yet
desteredra's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Certainly looks very good to me, though i myself have always been a little sad that so many furs like to work on canvas but haven't ever been taught how to stretch and prepare one properly, let along how to crate one for travel.

No votes yet
Giza's picture

Front paged and Tweeted!

No votes yet

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

dwalkerart's picture

I'm by NO means an expert, but when working at the framing dept of a local art store I did learn the basics of what NOT to do, as far as framing and protecting artwork for display. (I still weep when I see a print or worse, original, stuck to it's mat with *shudder* scotch tape of all things...) While I am, like the abovementioned folks, in the Den and unable to host a panel, I could certainly write up an "Idiot's guide to framing" type of thing for the con book if the Powers that Be think it would be helpful. What is the deadline for conbook submissions, anyway? Has that boat already sailed? (Meant to submit art, in fact, and have somehow lost track of my calendar of deadlines. Sticking out tongue)

No votes yet
Arrow Quivershaft's picture
This user is a Staff Member

I believe that conbook submissions closed on April 22nd.

No votes yet

--Fandom Track Lead

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.