Anthrocon Sim (Second Life)

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
12 replies [Last post]
Corri's picture

I have been wondering this for a long time now, why a much smaller con like Rocket City has a sim, and AC doesnt. This is something I would really like to see, and would make possible if pleases the staff. I'd RELSIH the oppertunity to recreate the David Lawrence and first three floors of the Westin. This would also accomplish something bigger:

Making congoers familiar witht he buildings before getting there.

Last year I ahd trouble findining where I was hosting my own pannel about SL in the Pennsylvanian, that was one of the complaints I heard when people were filing it half way through. Given the event garnnered 110 attendees there is HUGE potential here! I am jsut throwing this one out there, I would like to hear your thoughts...

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Glelin's picture

Having the word Anthrocon in the name may pose a problem due to licensing and permissions to use the name "Anthrocon". It is a trademark if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct, you will need permission from the board to create a Sim with "Anthrocon" in its name. If there is monetary income involved, then I'm positive that someone from the board will want to talk to you Eye-wink.

BEWARE! If this is allowed to happen, they will ask you to volunteer (though it seems you've already offered your services)!

I hope this happens. Good luck!

P.S. If I may offer my input, I see this being a great financial investment in the long run for AC!

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Corri's picture

I am quite involved  with this con, it's a given I am volunteering X3

No votes yet
Glelin's picture

If you want to use Anthrocon in the name, I'd wait for the board to give the go-ahead. If you want to name it something else, you can at least get started. I'd like to see this happen either way!

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Corri's picture

The point is for this sim to be Anthrocon. So, it is the boards ultimate decision in the end.

No votes yet
Vulpes Rex's picture
This user is a Contributor

Greetings, Corri!

Quote:
The point is for this sim to be Anthrocon.

I kept your emphasis, but added my own, in order to emphasise a point here.

Supposing that you did create a simulated duplicate of AnthroCon's event space - presumably, in SecondLife (SL) - and in order to make the simulation as real as possible, a virtual reality mirror if you will - who would control it, what happens in it, and how?

AnthroCon is, among other things, a product - specifically, a controlled event which has a schedule and programming and a certain level of behaviour and decorum, operated by a volunteer staff who run things, and a volunteer security presence which keeps unwanted interference and activities in check.  Attendance is restricted to a paying membership, which funds the event.  To do the same thing within the VR mirror site - and believe me, you will definitely need to provide the same thing - then someone (more likely several "someones") will have to devote time and energy for doing this.

AnthroCon, through the efforts of its staff and most of its member attendees, but particularly its chairman, has invested A LOT of Time and Energy and a very large chunk of Good Will and Reputation to establish a name for Quality of Experience.  AnthroCon's reputation is a very precious asset, even more critical than the funds in its accounts, because money can be raised or recouped, but reputations once lost are LOST, and I doubt that the board will allow that asset - AnthroCon's Good Name - to be placed at hazard for someone else's simulation.  Nor do I believe it likely that the volunteer staff would be able to devote any time to running a sim, in addition to planning and running the real thing, as they have lives in Reality of their own to live through.

Mind you - a model of the event space, especially one that has realistic scale and space relationships, would be a very handy planning tool, both for the staff and for potential attendees; but I think you have a very "hard sell" to get permisson to do anything more than that, or to associate it in any official way with AnthroCon itself.

Good Luck, though!  After all, I've been wrong before!

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Nicona Shadowwolf's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Before you get all gung ho about creating a SL sim of Anthrocon you may want to look at this video, it was shown at the masquerade this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlPF662kQV4

No votes yet

Director of Registration

Protocollie's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Obviously I can't speak for the higher ups who make the actual call, but here's the way I see it:

It all comes down to money. Anthrocon's a big con. We have our hands in a lot of pies, so to speak, in that we need to offer a lot at the actual convention in order to keep everyone happy. We're constrained by a budget, and extravagant spending in one area means something else will suffer for it. A sim on SL is not a minor expense - when I was aware of the cost, it was somewhere around a thousand or so a month. It may have come down SINCE then, but in the end even if it was smaller, like $200-300 a month, that's still a few thousand a year that the con could be using to bring in guests, fund events and otherwise make those 4-5 days that everyone in Pittsburgh is together way more awesome.

The thing I'm getting to, in a roundabout way, is that chances are the board would be on board with the idea as long as they could set an approved set of rules for conduct and have 'final cut' on the sim so to speak, but the sim would most likely have to be funded by someone else extremely dedicated to the convention who's basically willing to put out that money just for the sake of it.

This isn't an official answer, because I'm not the kind of staff member who'd be making this sort of decision, but by my experience this is where the con would stand. :]

Average: 4 (1 vote)
Skippy DI's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Also, just fuel on the flame, you cannot recreate the Westin or the DLCC in SL without permission either.  The building designs are copyrighted to the owners.

Average: 4 (1 vote)

-----------------------------------------------
David M Stein, DI

"Not Unlike the Toaster, I Control the Darkness"
-- Abby Normal, "You Suck"

Zak
Zak's picture

Might I suggest that a different program than second life be used to make a digital model of the DLCC & surrounding areas?  I'm not familiar with copyright law (so correct me if I'm wrong), but if this file were to be sent out or put on the site for download, then nothing would be gained monetarily.  If it did violate a copyright somewhere, then it could just be used for the staff to plan out events and schedules.

No votes yet

This sentence is false.

tail commissions! Laughing out loud

charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

Speaking as a non-staff, non-board private person:  Just because no money changes hands doesn't mean there's not a copyright violation.  As for the Staff, they almost certainly already have access to detailed floor plans to both the DLCC and the Westin... or at least the function space areas.

That's where KP earns his non-existant pay:  He has to know or guesstimate how big the attendance at a certain function will be and find an appropriate room with the right capacity... and at the right time.  That's where the hassles are, not in big-ticket items like the Dealers Room, Artists Alley, the Art Show, Uncle Kage's Story Hour, 2's Rant, the dances or even the fursuit parade.  Those are pretty much set in stone.  It's only the ad-hoc panels that attendees suggest that require the level of planning you mention.  Basically, KP gets a list of the rooms, their capacities and the times we have them.  He then starts trying to jimmy the requested panels into the available rooms.

In short: the staff already have the floor plans (or something close enough) to do their jobs.  To do more would, as mentioned above, cost money the con would rather spend on the guests and attendees.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Chiaroscuro's picture

First off, people, let's relax; Corri's trying to implement a very neat and cool idea, and I'm certain witht he intention of assissting Anthrocon and its attendees. The notion of a virtual DLCC is a nice one, and could certainly help people learn their way about the hotel and convention center in advance.

As shown in the video linked by nicona, as well as at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqee5S1m-dw&feature=related , someone's already done this. I'm uncertain if their building remains in SecondLife or not, I'm not there as often as I have been. (Chiaroscuro Mounier, by the by.) Corsi Mousehold is the video/song creator; I'd attempt to get in contact with him/her for information so as work need not be duplicated.

As for various issues, They come down to a few points, as mentioned.

#1 Anthrocon really does not have the budget nor time for us to maintain a Sim of Anthrocon. If someone wishes to do that on a volunteer basis, that'd be reasonable; I've little doubt that a staff member such as myself could take a look and give it an official endorsement. Protocollie's got it right: "Chances are the board would be on board with the idea as long as they could set an approved set of rules for conduct and have 'final cut' on the sim so to speak."

#2 As mentioned, the DLCC and Westin hotel own the actual physical buildings. They maintain copyright, and you may wish to request formal permission of them if you want to be certain they will have no complaint. To note, floor plans for the DLCC are at http://www.pittsburghcc.com/cc/floorplans.html

#3 Use of the Anthrocon name is something we do control. We try not to be uptight about it, but as Vulpes says, we do maintain a certain 'brand control.

--Chi

No votes yet
Giza's picture

#1 Anthrocon really does not have the budget nor time for us to maintain a Sim of Anthrocon. If someone wishes to do that on a volunteer basis, that'd be reasonable; I've little doubt that a staff member such as myself could take a look and give it an official endorsement. Protocollie's got it right: "Chances are the board would be on board with the idea as long as they could set an approved set of rules for conduct and have 'final cut' on the sim so to speak."

As another Board member, I also feel pretty much the same way.

If someone wants to take a whack at creating a Sim on Second Life, by all means, go for it!  If it comes out well and other attendees like it, we can talk about official endorsement.

No votes yet

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.