The Epic #1000 Fursuit Tag Auction Battle

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
34 replies [Last post]
Origamigryphon's picture

Just Uploaded! Thanks, Vin the Fox!

Average: 5 (2 votes)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Nicona Shadowwolf's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Wow!

No votes yet

Director of Registration

Fizzy Fox's picture

1600 for that, holy hot damn thats alot for an ear tag.

No votes yet

*Calls Room Service in the Wesitn at 3:00 AM* Hello Room Service? Can I have 12 cans of Coca'Cola? "What! $2.50 a can?!" Sure, I'm thirsty. Send em up along with a pizza.

Timoran's picture

For being only 11 shy of #1000, #989 was a heck of a bargain.

No votes yet
LoneHowler's picture

I'm glad I was able to snag one it was my first year at Anthrocon 870 is a very special tag for me

No votes yet
Sonicgott's picture

I love the muted fursuiter head. lol

Congratulations on such an awesome fur and a huge bid!

No votes yet
eldritchcoyote's picture

*screams* A whole eight cents? I thought they would have been cheaper to produce than tha--*ducks and hides. << >>* But, hooo boy...o.o I wouldn't have gone higher than a thousand at the time, since my car was having issues, which is probably a good thing, because now my car is fixed for free, and I still have that money in my bank making more money. Cheers.

No votes yet
jerrymojo2's picture

I got 825 <3

No votes yet
Murkrow's picture

jesus christ! ._. thats enough to buy a fursuit, or even a pool! but for a small eartag? thats dedication, man.

well i guess its worth it cuz it is the last ear tag. o_o;

No votes yet

HAIIMMURK&THISISMYSIGNATUREITROCKSDOESNTHUH?

ArcFenBlu's picture

"Woaah that's not water" xD

Incredible. If I had that much money I'd get myself 2 suits. Simple as that lol

No votes yet
eldritchcoyote's picture

I'd probably get more suits if I had more ROOMM for more suits... BAH!

No votes yet
Glelin's picture

Holy Sh@#! That man has either a really big wallet or a really big heart. Or both! The person who tries to steal that in the future is the next Chewfox in my mind.

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Shade's picture

Chewfox...? May i ask what the significance of his/her name means? 0.o and I CANT BELIEVE IT WAS ONLY 8 CENTS!!! (But i would have bid $2000 on the spot had it been a fursuit.

No votes yet

Constructing my fursuit this summer! Gettin a job so I can afford the parts. Planning to unveil Shade Switchblade at Anthrocon 2013!!!

Origamigryphon's picture

Oh man, you are out of the loop, aren't you? There was a big ol' ball of drama concerning Chewfox and her appearance on the Tyra Banks show, depicting furries as freaks in bed. I'm sure your google-fu will be strong searching up this one.

No votes yet
Shade's picture

Yep maybe. Hahaha Well that will be interesting. :3

No votes yet

Constructing my fursuit this summer! Gettin a job so I can afford the parts. Planning to unveil Shade Switchblade at Anthrocon 2013!!!

Caox's picture

that's the kind of epic epicness you miss when you don't come to the charity auction!

No votes yet

"Throw me to the wolves because there's order in the pack,
Throw me to the sky because I know I'm coming back."

Kori Vixen's picture

Okay, i'm probably gonna get my wings so chewed up for this I won't be able to fly for a LOOONG time, but what's the point of one of those ear tags? What's a Dorsai? And why are furries paying thousands of bucks for a tag?

No votes yet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Born strong. Raised strong. Stayed strong. Am strong. Staying strong. Dying strong. Why? Because if you dont, they win. And I'm no quitter. i'm a survivor.

Rigel's picture

The ear tags were a gimmick that security at the convention began doling out to costumers some years back.  Since they were distributed at limited discretion, ownership became highly prized, akin to ultra-rare collectibles - materially worthless, but socially and representatively priceless within the costuming community.

The Dorsai perform security for Anthrocon.  For more information, see http://www.di.org/

Average: 4 (1 vote)
charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

http://www.anthrocon.org/node/4362/whats-those-fursuit-tags   will probably explain the Dorsai ear tags as well (if not better) than any other source.

The Dorsai Irregulars act as Con Security.  They take their name from the stories by Gordon Dickson, but...

Tag 1000 was (reportedly) the last one ever.  It was highly desired for that reason.

(See?  Not one feather out of place!)

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Vulpes Rex's picture

...And let it not be forgotten that this was part of a Charity Auction, as well!  That may have been a factor in the amount bid, as a hallmark of the Generosity of Furry Fandom in general, and this one Furry Fan in particular - or at least, we should wish to believe so.

It has become a tradition of sorts that Furry Conventions choose a charity to support, as a public service and as a way to give back to the community which hosts our conventions.  Funds are raised by direct donation of individual fans, who are encouraged to visit the table space in the Dealers' Den so provided; the convention organisers themselves often make a donation directly in the name of the convention; various Charity Events, such as a buy-a-ticket-to-attend stage performance by AnthroCon's chairman, Uncle Kage, with our perennial esteemed guest, 2Gryphon (also known as "2 the Ranting Gryphon") - and finally, there is the Charity Auction.

The Charity Auction consists of items donated by various Furry Artists and Writers, such as prints, original artwork, books and publications, things of a general interest to Furry and SciFi/Fantasy fans, special and unique items from our Guests-of-Honour, on occasion a special, Private Performance of "Uncle Kage's Story Hour", presented for the winner and a few of his select guests in a setting of their choice...

...In short - unusual, unique, and desirable things, not available through normal channels, but ONLY through bidding in the Charity Auction.

Every fan-run convention has some sort of Security function ("Con Security") which helps the convention run in an orderly manner, regulates and restricts admittance to convention events and spaces by checking badges, settles minor disputes, and makes sure that everyone has a good time by assuring that no one runs around creating a rotten time, if you know what I mean.  Con Security has Authority.  This is often a thankless task, and it is hard to get volunteers - especially competent, well-trained and disciplined volunteers - to perform it.  But there is one rather stand-out team of individuals, volunteers drawn from the vast width and breadth of Greater Fandom, who give of their free time to perform this function at Fan-run conventions of every stripe, and do it on their own nickel, without compensation.  This rather elite and professional group are known as the Dorsai irregulars, their title taken from a unit of mercenaries in SciFi stories penned by one Gordon Dickson, and their services are much sought after by many, many convention groups.  The Dorsai can be - indeed must be - rather selective in which conventions they are able to provide staff for, and AnthroCon, by dint of the way Furry Fans have behaved and welcomed them, has been blessed for several years now with a growing contingent of DI's who now regard working one of our conventions to be a highlight of the year.

Now remember - the Dorsai are not primarily Furry Fans, though a few of them are; they are primarily from the much broader range of Fandom which encompasses Science Fiction and Fantasy.  They do not wear tails and ears, or fursuits - at least, not while "on duty" - or do any of the hijinx which Furry Fans are known for - but they have found ways to involve themselves with us, and bond, if you will.  One of the things which they did was to create these plastic livestock tags, very much like what is attached to the ear of a cow or or other livestock, or tagged to wildlife being tracked and studied by foresters and naturalists.  These tags, dubbed "DMS (Dorsai Migration Studies)" were numbered sequentially and labelled, and then given out to individual fursuiters whose suits or preformances particularly impressed the issuing Dorsai member.  Each tag was unique.  Tags were not given out to ALL fursuiters, but only to those the Dorsai judged appropriate.  Asking for one might or might not get you one - but no amount of money could buy you one, either, for the Dorsai are renowned for their incorruptability; they cannot be bribed (with money).  Needless to say, getting "tagged" by the Dorsai was a very special thing, and the tags themselves were highly-prized and much-coveted accessories to wear with one's fursuit.

So when the very last tag to be created, No. 1000, was donated by the Dorsai to the Charity Auction, it was a very big deal.

...And that is how this one tag was able to draw such a high price - or at least, that is how I understand it; and now, Kori, maybe you do, too!     

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

And, to the extent that the Dorsai Irregulars themselves can be explained at all, check out their website at www.di.org.

Know this as well: According to Uncle Kage, the Dorsai Irregulars are volunteers who do not charge Anthrocon for their services.  Now, that doesn't mean they go unrewarded: Kage (and others, myself included) have been known to donate certain adult beverages for their off-duty consumption.  Sometimes, I've even made a joke of it...

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

desteredra's picture
This user is a Staff Member

The Dorsai Irregulars act as Con Security.  They take their name from the stories by Gordon Dickson, but...

Of course, it is worth noting that while the dorsai head up and organize the security team, not all security folks are DI (some are pre-approved friends of dorsai, called Folk), and not all DI in attendance are on security (some are busy with other areas).

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

Of course you are correct, Dester'edra.  I merely meant that the DI are the 'face' of con security, as it were.  Put it ths way:  if you see someone who is wearing the DI cap, treat them as though they were Security.   Even if they're aren't, they'll be able to get the real Security people to that location very quickly.

As would anyone with a Staff or Board badge, especially those with the surgically-attached earpieces... Smiling

No votes yet

Kori Vixen's picture

Aww, so I can't ever get one now? Now I want to get tagged...

No votes yet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Born strong. Raised strong. Stayed strong. Am strong. Staying strong. Dying strong. Why? Because if you dont, they win. And I'm no quitter. i'm a survivor.

Shade's picture

I agree... :3

No votes yet

Origamigryphon's picture

At closing ceremonies they said that it would be the end of fursuit tags, yes, but that they -might- have something else in mind for next year. We'll see!

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture

They did promise something to replace it, but they have not even told me what it will be.

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

I've heard rumors of high-powered rifles and tranquilizer darts...  Evil

(Just kidding, in case you couldn't figure it out...)

No votes yet

Chiaroscuro's picture

There will be no tranquilizing at Anthrocon, unless I get the first batch.

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Protocollie's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Eh, while it does stink folks get left out I think limiting them makes them a little more special, as well. There's plenty of other opportunities to get unique items at a con, AC's had special high-quality laser-etched badges for fursuiters every year for the past two years, so while the ear tags are no longer possible, there's plenty of other fursuit swag. :]

No votes yet
Origamigryphon's picture

I really do hope that those laser-cut tags continue. They are very neat, and very collectible :3

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

The Dorsai may have 'tranquilizers' of the non-injectable kind that they might br willing to share...

No votes yet

Unclekage's picture

Have? Yes.

Share?  That's another matter.

No votes yet
Origamigryphon's picture

But Great Uncle Kage, sharing is caring! ;_;

No votes yet
marshall's picture

Holy flerging shnit! thats alot of K.F.C * Ker F#%king Ching! )

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.