Small incident at Convention Center is resolved -- updated 2/14/07.

There was a minor accident on February 5 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, involving a semi trailer, the 10th St. Tunnel, and excessive gravity. The damage to the Center is being repaired and has been judged by engineers to be "an isolated incident." The building is certified safe and sound, and Anthrocon will be moving in on schedule.

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Ron Bauerle's picture
This user is a Contributor

Turns out this is the second time this happened:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/mostread/s_494574.html
SEA may sue if design is to blame for center collapse

Ron

No votes yet
Giza's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Considering that the DLCC originally cost $354 million to build, a repair cost of $1 million on these joints seems relatively small by comparison.

No votes yet

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

PeterCat's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

You can bet that they'll be inspecting all those expansion joints very carefully. Maybe the joints are jamming due to ice buildup in the cold weather, or possibly corrosion from road salt, since both failures occurred at around the same time of year. (Eerily, Kage and I and some others toured the convention center last year in early February...)

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

morgain5's picture
This user is a Staff Member

The Convention Center is repaired and reopened. Pittsburgh's "Home and Garden" show is already going on.

No votes yet

I'm just cute that way Eye-wink

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.