READ THIS if you haven't been to Anthrocon before!

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
183 replies [Last post]
Giza's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Greetings! If you haven't been to Anthrocon before, then here are some documents which you may find helpful:

What to Take to a Con
Never been to a convention before? This covers things every congoer should bring with them.

Tips for Getting the most Out of Anthrocon

Suggestions on how to get the most out of attending Anthrocon.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions listed here cover all aspects of the convention.

Tips For Congoers on Strict Budgets

This document discusses how to attend a con on a limited budget.

Tips for Convention Goers

Where, how and when to leave a tip when traveling to a convention.

If you have any additional questions about Anthrocon, feel free to ask in this forum. Both members of past Anthrocons and convention staff can assist you.

Average: 4.6 (14 votes)
Your rating: None

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
LamiTheLion's picture

This year will be my first AC, I just turned 18 in April and can register now...I hope to have fun :3

~Lami the Lion

Average: 5 (2 votes)

Oh noes, It's teh kandyravin lion! ^._.^

Exkhaniber's picture

Oh don't worry. The only way to NOT have fun is to really try hard at it. And even then, most people fail at not having fun.

-There is no truth

-The two saddest words in the English language are "Good bye"

Fur-tabulous_Husky's picture

Laugh what do you get to do if u arnt registered? like what age do you have to be to wear a fursuit to the con? (( lolz sorry for some dumb questions, its my first con))

Wolfie Furry For Life!! (((LOLED)))
Profile~~~~~
Name: Frost
Type: White Wolf
Color: White with pink tip of tail and ears and hair tuff
Saying: Ima make it FROSTI!!!

Adolf Fockes's picture

I'm pretty sure you can wear a fursuit at any age, though to actually come to the con if you're under 18 you need parental permission.

charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

You must register for the convention. You can do this at the door, but it's faster (and less expensive) to pre-register.

There is no age limit to wear a fursuit, low or high.

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Chiaroscuro's picture

If you do not register for Anthrocon, all you can do is stare longingly through the glass of the windows outside, wishing you were in the cool, air-conditioned comfort of the David Lawrence Convention Center with all the fun people.

As mentioned, there is no minimum nor maximum age to wear a fursuit.

Average: 5 (3 votes)
Sparki's picture

yes I'm noob making friends (at the pace of a snail) but was wondering gaming lounge??? where when and how??? I've seen tons of chats about it, but none explaining WTF it was (beside the obvious ideas given by the name) but are there any other cons besides the M.W.F.F. U know like in central the USA closer to where I live (KS) (not being cheap just curious) cause that would kill my budget to get a suit and travel all that way plus the hotel room fee when I could have had a good time in a much closer con-.- no offense by ALLLLL means REALLY just curious

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Chiaroscuro's picture

It is not necessary to have a suit. Usually 15% of the convention owns a suit, 15% wears ears/tail.etc, and the remainder dress in everyday clothes.

From Kansas, MFF is probably the closest furry convention, second being the Rocky Mountain Fur Con in Denver. Hotel Room fees will be standard across many conventions, so that's usually minor for your convention costs.

As for the game rooms at conventions, usually there are a multitude of console systems (Wii, Xbox, PS2/3) where various games are played, and tournaments held; there are also often board game/RPG rooms for non-video games.

--Chiaroscuro

Sparki's picture

ok so I've heard, but does one have to provide their own system or does the lounge keeper provide them and wouldn't that provide massive blockage if they did and *confused* *.*
wait for it.... ohh yeah ummm... uhhhhh.... *goes brain dead*
ohh now I remember wait no I don't I'll post it when I remember now where did I put my mouse... curse you portable cordless mouse curse yooooo.... what was I talking about... ohh well

------------------------------------------------------------
shoot now ask..... well NEVER

Duncan da Husky's picture
This user is a Staff Member

There are conventions all over the world, and dozens in the United States!

Here's some useful links:
http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_furry_convention_resources
http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Upcoming_events
---
Tom Brady/Duncan da Husky
Artists Alley and Con Store Manager
For fastest replies to questions about Artists Alley, e-mail me at

Sparki's picture

dood I looked at the colorado fest and ugh *shudders* not near as good as the anthrocon and the oklefest looks like it has the attendants of a abandoned warehouse (no offense to anyone) so It looks like I will be sticking with the anthrocon for sure unless something better pops up ^^ closer to where I live may have to start one in KS *yeah right*

Sparki's picture

I wonder Y no 1 did any central fur fest ??? U know alot more people would probably come if they had a central one unless I'm a lone state fur (not ranger) that would suck or they could have and found it a flop and classified it insupier

Average: 4.5 (2 votes)
shari's picture

This year will be my first anthrocon (shari jumps up and tries to do a werid dance). Im 17 and i live in england would i have to download the "signed and notarized permission form" and have my mum and dad send it through post to anthrocon? or will i have to wate till im eighteen?. Just wondering so i can get it sorted out as soon as possable thanks

Shari Strife The Fox Dragon

x x x x x

No votes yet

"I love arguing with myself, I always win."

desteredra's picture

there's a like to the 2007 minor permission form here:

http://www.anthrocon.org/registration

There's always a chance that something other than the dates could change with regards to this form between now and the next gather. I don't think it's terribly likely, tho.

For the 2008 form, you may have to wait a little bit--the staff need time to recharge after this past gather and get everything squared away, and then it will take some time for them to get everything updated and good to go for 2008 around their day jobs. I wouldn't expect the registration and permission forms to go up for a while yet--not that i'd know.

No votes yet
shari's picture

ok ill wate for a while but im sure id have to send the thing by post(when they get it up of corse) i will be able to get on the plane by myself at 17? right? im sure i will . just out of curiosity witch is the most favored hotel at anthrocon? thanks

Shari Strife

No votes yet

Giza's picture

Will you be at at the time of the 2008 convention? If so, you won't have to worry about the consent form since you will be a legal adult in the state of Pennsylvania.

Our "main" hotel is the Westin, which is physically attached to the convention center. We do not have a room block available yet. Watch this site for more updates on that.

Also: cute icon. Smiling

--
My LJ - My Website

shari's picture

I will still be 17 when Anthrocon next comes around. Ill still need the consent form? Right?

ok ill watch O.O for a while. have a rest guys you deserve it (Shari hugs the constaff)

thanks it is cute ^^
Shari x x x

No votes yet

BlackJack's picture

From the last official replies on this, yes. Under 18 at the start of the convention means a consent form must be completed and submitted.

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Sparki's picture

hrm so it's at the beginning of the con or can we send it in via Snail mail ^^ and can I have one parent (or guardian) sign it cause I know one of them approves of it the other thinks a little less of furs (has no grip of understanding) and could I have anyone else sign it so long as they're in the family?
--------------------------------------------------------------
my tormented soul has laid waste to these lands and all who oppose me for what seems like an eternity..... now leave or suffer the consequences

Chiaroscuro's picture

Your parent or legal guardian must sign it, and it must be notarized; that is, signed and in the presence of a public notary, who will affix it with a imprinting seal or stamp. Notary fees are usually modest for this.

--Chiaroscuro

Sparki's picture

delete plz

Average: 2 (1 vote)
D0z3r's picture

I am 17 and will turn 18 before the anthro con in 2010, I was wondering if you are a con goer, if so are you able to have like bags to put posters and stuff instead of a folder?

Unclekage's picture

You will get a bag with all your registration goodies in it.

Chiaroscuro's picture

As Kage said, when you pick up your membership badge, you will get a reasonably sturdy plastic bag with your conbook and other stuff in it.

As this question has come up before and may be what you're really asking, yes you are permitted to wear backpacks, messenger bags, purses, and all such at Anthrocon in nearly all areas. The Art show is one example where they are not permitted.

Vulpes Rex's picture

Greetings, Dale!

I would like to suggest that you either bring, or purchase from a local office supply store, a cardboard mailing tube (cylinder, not the folded prism-shaped things) for any posters which you may wish to purchase - easier to store, and it will hold more than one easily, if you roll them together as a bundle.

A big collectable is Art prints; while the various artists might offer a couple different sizes, most of the art prints offered for sale will be on 8&1/2" x 11" acid-free paper or cardstock; these can be conveniently stored (temporarily) in a UPS or USPS or FedEx cardboard document mailer. While some of the artists/merchants may offer you a mailer to store your prints, it's best to bring about 5 of your own, for sorting purposes. The mailers are made from really cheap cardboard, and are highly acidic, as paper goes - so be sure to take your prints out of them and store in proper plastic document protectors (or even mount them in a frame, for display!), as soon as you get home.

You may find it a bit cumbersome to walk around with a backpack or briefcase; if you have a canvas bookbag or grocery bag, bring it along, and keep it rolled up in your pocket until you actually buy something which needs carrying.

Duncan da Husky's picture

The Con Store also sells 8.5" x 11" page protectors for very reasonable prices Smiling

---
Tom Brady/Duncan da Husky
Artists Alley and Con Store Manager
For fastest replies to questions about Artists Alley, e-mail me at

Toni-tan's picture

x3 Hi,

Um... I've know about Anthrocon for some time now <.< and I wanted to go to the 2009 con, but I found out real quick that I had no way to get there nor someone(s) to share a room with.

-.- and I found out the the rooms were more then the con so going to the con was out of the question...sigh

T_T and I also found out I don't know any furs where I live, the ones I do know(n) moved and I only met them through a friend , and my friend isn't a fur.

I've looked all over the net for local furs near me and I can find furs that live like an hour away...=.= I sometime feel like shouting out in wal*mart "LOOK AT ME I'M A FURRY!!!" just to see if anyone would respond.

xD You would think WV would be flooded with furries.

Giza's picture

You would think WV would be flooded with furries.

I've noticed that furries tend to abound in places with greater Internet connectivity. Or, at least more furries find out about the fandom due to having Internet access.

Toni-tan's picture

*nods * good point. x3 Thank you.

furryJ's picture

i have a question does a student ID count as a normal ID

Chiaroscuro's picture

No; a Student ID is not a complete ID in itself. For a 'single form' ID, you would need a Driver's License, a Passport, a Military ID or a State ID.

A Student ID with your name and a picture, in conjunction with a birth certificate, makes for acceptable overall ID- that gives us confirmation of your name associated with both a picture and a birthdate.

--Chi

furryJ's picture

If i am 16 can a still be a fursuiter?

Chiaroscuro's picture

Certainly! You can fursuit at any age.

However...you'd have to be able to afford a suit at 16 (the often cost over $1,000 USD), and are aware you may not be done growing yet. I'd recommend at that age you only wear a partial (Head, paws, tail) suit at best; at 18 you should be a bit more assured of your final body height and shape.

furryJ's picture

and how does hoteling and roomates thing work?

Chiaroscuro's picture

http://www.anthrocon.org/faq/hotel may answer a lot of your questions, as might http://www.anthrocon.org/faq/minors . If you are 16, you will not be able to rent a hotel room; you will need to be 18 at the least to rent a hotel room in Anthrocon's Room Block, and outside of Anthrocon's room block, the usual age is 21.

In most cases, people share a room with other roommates. One person makes the reservation, gets everyone's name on the reservation so the first arriving person can check in. Payment handling is entirely between roommates; Anthrocon does not involve itself in that matter. Often the 'Reservation Master' will want payment in advance before the convention, or the first day of the convention, to make sure all things are squared away.

It's best to room with people you know, ideally close friends or family; while you can find good roommates in the 'unknown', and I have.. I find it's a better time with known friends.

Also, the Doubletree has free chocolate chip cookies when you check in. :9

charlieg's picture

It works one of two ways: A person (18 or over) reserves a room and then asks for roommates to help lower the cost per person or a person who can't afford a room on their own asks if somebody'd be willing to take him/her as a roommate. In either case, the roommate is expected to pay for their part of the room, with some room offerers asking different amounts per night depending on whether you sleep in a bed or on the floor.

Be aware that the con itself takes no official policy on this. I mean that the con does not act as a broker and is not responsible for making people pay for their section of the room. That's entirely between the attendees.

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

Tthedragon's picture

Just to say, I'm trying to get extremly prepared for AC 2010 becuase It's my first one; but so,three things, Is there a map of the convention area and and attractions?
When I get there should I just go with the flow?
When Is the schedule for the con is usually posted? Puzzled

Hey there.

charlieg's picture

There's a map of the convention area in Pittsburgh to the left under Information, then Travel Information. It gives you an idea of what's the on the outside in Pittsburgh. You can also use Google street maps to 'look' around the neighborhood.

I don't think that Anthrocon posts maps of the Convention Center or the Westin Hotel beforehand: there will be maps of both, with all convention function rooms listed, included in the Registration Information packet you are given when you pick up your badge. IIRC, they may be printed twice: once in the conbook and again in the Pocket Program.

The con schedule is usually posted a few weeks (2 to 4) before the con. Right now, K.P. is still getting requests for panels. At some point, a cutoff date should be announced for panel requests, so that he can start trying to arrange for everyone to get the prime time they all want. This is what is known by all as a "thankless task." Last year's schedule may still be posted somewhere to the left: it will undoubtedly be different in almost all details, except for 'locked' events like the Charity and Art Auctions. Last year's schedule will give you an idea of the kind of panels you can expect.

Average: 4.7 (3 votes)

Vulpes Rex's picture

*sigh*

I sometimes wish that my answers to such questions were as simple, as straightforward, and as coherent as yours; they wouldn't then require three hours of composition and correction to post!

They would certainly be of greater utility, then...

charlieg's picture

It's the result of being a programmer for over forty years. I've learned (the very hard way) to present information in such a way that the most unwilling-to-learn person will find it difficult to misinterpret. (Note: I'm not referring to people on this board.) It's also the result of being the youngest of three children: I had to get things said quickly or I'd never get a word in edgewise.

We act in counterpoint. I give the quick, terse, pointed information while you give a more detailed and conversational explanation. Between us, we hit the extremes on both ends of the learning curve, while those in the middle can (hopefully) gain information from both of us. Don't get discouraged by my shorter, informative posts: I'm certain that there are people who get less from mine than they do from yours. I read your postings and say to myself, "You idiot! How'd you miss that?!"

Vulpes Rex's picture

Greetings, Ryan!

Quote:
Is there a map of the convention area and and attractions?

When you arrive and have seen to your hotel accomodations, the very next thing that you will want to do is pick up your registration credentials. This is fairly quick and painless, IF you pre-registered before the convention. If you did NOT pre-register, then you will have to register on-site, and this may involve a long line and a long wait.

Last year, Registration functions were held in the David Lawrence Convention Center (DLCC), which is a large, white-roofed structure extending for a couple of blocks along the Allegheny River, like an otherworldly sailing ship. While connected to the Westin Hotel by a sky-corridor up on the 2nd level, you won't be allowed access through there on the first day, unless you are in fursuit. Instead, walk outside and enter the convention center from street level; the entrances are on either side of Tenth Street, above the kinetic water sculpture. Last year, the entrance across the street (and the water sculpture) was the one usually open to us. Once inside, follow the stream of furry fans - or follow the signs - to the registration tables, and either get in line to register, or go pick up your badge as a pre-register.

WHEN you receive your badge, you will also receive a bag of useful materials, including:

(1) A souvenir Convention Program Book, and
(2) A "pocket program" schedule guide.

There will probably also be a handy "Diner's Guide", a directory of local eateries listing restaurants by type and price and cuisine, and showing you where they are on a central city map, and also a guide to useful city services and businesses, such as copy stores, art supply houses, and shippers. There will probably be some flyers for other conventions, advertisments for specific dealers at the convention, and any other ephemera or addenda as necessary at the time the convention begins.

The Convention Book and the pocket program schedule are vital, and work hand-in-hand with each other. Once you have the book and the schedule, take the time to thoroughly read through the book for things like our Code of Conduct, the Charity which AnthroCOn will sponsor this year, biographies of our Honored Guests, a list of credits detailing all the people who are working to make the convention happen and who you may meet, rules and hours for the Art Show, perhaps a section describing all the individual programmed events and panels, and - finally - maps and layouts of the convention space, which is divided between the DLCC and the Westin Hotel itself. There will also be a convenient map showing where each dealer can be found, in the Dealers' Den.

The various halls in the DLCC are labelled as numbered rooms, Exhibit Hall "B", and "The Spirit of Pittsburgh" ballroom; the rooms in the Westin are, on the Second Level, named after historic persons in Pennsylvanian history (Washington, Wastmoreland, Butler, Fayette, etc.) and on the Third Level, almost everything is "Allegheny", except for ConOps, whic is in the fabulous Crawford Room.

The "Pocket Program" is arranged as a table, with columns indicating times of day, with rows indicating specific rooms and event spaces, and the intersecting cells listing the specific program event taking place at that time and location. It is possible to familiarise yourself with the maps of the event space, and thus leave the Book in your room for later looking at the neat artwork inside, or reading the stories submitted by various authors, but the Pocket Program Schedule is indispensible! Keep it with you at all hours of convention operation, or you won't know what is happening where, otherwise.

Right after Registration, many Furry Fans set off in search of lunch, or try to finalise their room accomodations and meet roommates, or just generally set out to socialise, but the Wise Furry Fan will take the time to familiarise himself with the layout of the event space, by walking to it in the hotel, and then take the time to look over ALL of the programming achedule, and decide in advance just what he or she wishes to see or participate in; inevitably, there shall be conflicting events, going on at the same time, and you shall have to choose one or the other to attend.

Quote:
When I get there should I just go with the flow?

If that is your wish, then go right ahead! The AnthroCon Staff - particularly the programming staff, headed by KP - do their best to offer as wide a variety of things to see and hear and do as possible, and multiple ways to have fun - but only YOU can determine how best to have that fun!

That having been said - if you are a first-time attendee, then you shall want to see the Opening Ceremony on Friday morning, where the theme, the staff, and the Guests of Honor are introduced. This gives you an overview of the Convention. Following very shortly thereafter is a presentation panel entitled "So this is your first Furry Con", which explains the convention-going experience, a few traditions, and specific courtesies which, while appearing to be just plain common sense, may be entirely new to folks who have never been away from home on their own before. It also explains behaviour and courtesies to fursuiters, who suffer from specific handicaps while in suit - in short, the Essentials that Furry Con Attendees Need To Know. and since this presentation is usually made by Uncle Kage (the convention chairman), 2Gryphon, and KP (director of programming), it is usually quite entertaining, as well as informative.

Quote:
When Is the schedule for the con is usually posted?

I'll defer to others (specifically KP) for that, but the earliest schedule will be posted here on this forum, after it has been finalised and made ready for printing. When that will be, I'm guessing about 2 weeks before the actual convention.

Average: 4.7 (3 votes)
Akita-Chan's picture

thanks this helps a lot Huggle

Kiki 'Jackson'

Sibley's picture

Thank you! This will be my first year and your post has helped a lot with questions I had.

WolfFort's picture

Forgive. I want to double check.
Even if you want to come to anthrocon 2010 for a day to look around look to buy art and shop around without a fursuit.
You need to regester?

gizmonine's picture

Yes, you will need to register to enter the dealers room/ artist alley/ art show.

Single Day registrations are available for purchase. They cost $25 and are only available at-con (you can not pre-register for a single day membership).

Chiaroscuro's picture

Yes; you may purchase a day pass at Registration during the convention for $25.

Fursuit wearing is only done by about 15-20% of our attendees. We're like Disneyland: you can wear whatever you want, as long as it is decent for public. Mouse ears just add to the fun is all. Smiling

--Chi

WolfFort's picture

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to get there at least one day this year. Eye-wink

Glelin's picture

First AC! This helped a lot. Thanks Giza!

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

JaxM's picture

Just a question so I'm not completely clueless as to location. Does Anthrocon always happen in Pittsburgh or does it change from city to city each year? (very easy trip for the moment since I live in eastern PA Sticking out tongue )

charlieg's picture

Anthrocon will be in Pittsburgh, PA at least until 2014, since they already have contracts with the David Lawrence Convention Center until that time. There has been no indication from Anthrocon's Board of Directors that they intend to leave Pittsburgh after that year, either. Pittsburgh has proven itself to be a gracious and welcoming host and that adds a lot to any loyalty factor.

In short, Anthrocon seems to feel that it's found a home in Pittsburgh and has no plans to leave in the foreseeable future... if ever.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.