The Anthrocon Forums Will Shut Down on December 31st, 2018

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
7 replies [Last post]
Giza's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Hey everyone,

We started up the Anthrocon forums back in 2005, and it's been fun 13 years since then. But over the last 13 years, there have been many changes--changes in the furry community, changes in the Internet, and changes in how we communicate. As such, forums no longer play the same role for this convention like they did a decade-plus ago.

Activity has dropped off, with fewer and few people using the forums every year, and that makes it an increasingly difficult business case for us to keep them running. As such, we will be spinning down the forums at the end of the year.

What Comes Next?

There are plenty of other ways to stay touch with us, and with other con attendees:

If you want to archive pages from this site, be sure to check out archive.is. Old copies of this website are also at Archive.org.

Stay Connected With Each Other!

If you want to stay in touch with other furries that you've met through the forums, please make sure to exchange contract info sooner rather than later! Telegram seems to be the messaging app of choice these days, but Facebook and Facebook Messenger are also pretty popular. And of course, Discord also allows private messaging. Smiling

Feel free to post your contact info as a comment on this post or DM it privately to friends you chat with here.

It's been a pleasure, and I hope to see you all at Anthrocon next year.

-- Giza

Average: 5 (2 votes)
Your rating: None

Pennsylvania Furry? Be sure to check out http://www.pa-furry.org/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Eric's picture

Disappointing but not unexpected.

No votes yet
charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

And a great loss for someone of an older generation (like me) who avoids the anti-social connection sites like the plague.

I have no desire to have my entire life online where I am judged by now many "friends" i have.

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

BlackJack's picture

This will be seen as a great idea and very practical. Until, of course, FB decides to hold all the AC data for ransom and shake us down for money, or delete it all without warning, or decide it disapproves of furry, etc. Then all the AC discussions will disappear down a black hole.

It's been said that FB is a lousier version of what AOL/"the internet" was in the 1990s, where all the interaction was confined into one company's sites, with attention continually funneled back into one or another. I think that's bad for AC just as I think it's bad for society. However, nobody cares what I think, nobody cares about a warning that something CONVENIENT today can be come CATASTROPHIC next month. So, it's Convenience City for AnthroCon. I'm sure I'll find out what's going on with AC in one form or another. Eventually. Through whatever channels outside FB are left.

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Ron Bauerle's picture

Quote:
Then all the AC discussions will disappear down a black hole.

They effectively do now after 2-8 weeks, and AFAIK there's no search function in FB, and I'm not even sure it's possible/easy to link to a specific post. I'm subbed to AC on FB, but I don't follow it - I can't even keep up with my friends/family there Sad

First it was alt.fan.furry, then livejournal, and now this Sad

This'll probably complete my shift from furry fandom to MLP, and at least
I've got EQD for that, at least for another year or so when MLP's supposed to end Sad

Edit: I assume it's also cost-prohibitive to put this site into read-only mode so previous posts can be searched for vs slogging around archive.org (which really works when you know the specific link and date, not so much for general searching (though I admit I've never really tried))

Joaquin Claro's picture

Giving all the house keys to the amoral and inscrutable Silicon Valley industry will end up biting the Internet and the World in the behind in the long term. You have supposedly educated people working overtime to cause unemployment (automating most jobs) and turn dystopian science fiction stories into documentaries. Seriously, moderating discussions, combing archives and finding obscure content on most anti-social networks (I agree with charlieg) is a chore.

Average: 5 (1 vote)

As above, so below.

Rick2tails's picture

a sad but noy unexpected end. Though I think these message boards were slightly killed off as oppossed to dying of natural causes. 

Average: 4.5 (2 votes)
BlackJack's picture

You mean like how the URL changed without warning so direct links to it were all truncated at once, and the main site's front page kicked the link off the link menu at the top of the page, relegating it to a small link at the bottom of the page, further called "the OLD forums", implying further that they were replaced by some nonexistent newer forum, and subtly discouraging use from those people who actually found it because they specifically went looking for it, with no announcement as to how to find the forums,

then measure how many people accessed a new announcement on that page, and say that usage is down because most AC'ers didn't get the announcement that way?

All of that was an innocent string of coincidences. Sort of how a poll tax or gerrymandering JUST HAPPENS to be an advantage to someone and a disadvantage to someone else.

Average: 4.8 (4 votes)

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.