Any issues getting time off from work?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
5 replies [Last post]
TechnoDragon's picture

Just for funsies (sorry lol) I was curious to see if anyone wanted to regale us with any stories regarding issues/solutions with receiving the time off needed to attend Anthrocon. I know the month of July is a busy time for many businesses, any epic tales of victory or extended seiges with management to share? 

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Please save the Anthrocon Forums. Thank you! <3

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
BlackJack's picture
This user is a Contributor

I actually didn't have that kind of trouble-usually. Vacation was based on seniority and I was beat by one supervisor in that department, so I put in as soon as my hotel room reservation was confirmed.

Once, I got bumped. The supervisor wanted that week also. So, after I picked myself off the floor, I studied the schedule, and put in a request off for Wednesday night of that week through Saturday night. They were able to give me that. So, I got off work Tuesday morning and got to packing. At the time, I was taking Amtrak home Sunday afternoons and was able to be at work Monday night.

One year, I put in for Monday night as well. Someone insisted it must have been a mistake, and said to schedule me for Monday night as well. It was NOT an error. Amtrak had switched the Sunday afternoon train to a Sunday morning train. Instead of heading home as AC wound down and arriving late Sunday, I was now leaving Monday very early and arriving home Monday late afternoon. I double-checked the schedule when I got home, and advised them they needed to find someone to fill their missing shift, since I'd been traveling all day and was in no shape to come in and work. They would have gotten mad, except it wasn't MY mistake there. I'd even written out both the dates and the days of the week it affected, to make sure there was no confusion.

Now, other conventions where I could just Greyhound it to Philly, those were easier to schedule for- and once I finished a shift, went home, showered, changed, ate, grabbed my bags, and got to traveling and napped on the bus. But that wasn't an AnthroCon story.

No votes yet

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

I'm retired now, so getting off from work is not a concern.  Money is.  But I never had problems getting the days off for Anthrocon.  By 1997, I'd already been with me employer for 15 years and was basically the most senior.

Another reason there weren't any complaints was that I was willing to cover on all the "family" holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

PeterCat's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

In 2000 Hillary Clinton was running for US Senator from New York State. At the time I worked as a studio technician at a Syracuse NY TV station which was an affiliate of the CBS network. CBS's morning show convinced Hillary to do a "town hall" meeting, which was to take place at my station the day before Anthrocon -- when I needed to be in Philadelphia to set up the Art Show. But they needed "all hands on deck" for the CBS telecast as well as our regular local morning news, and scheduled me to work, deferring my vacation day. I actually put in notice to quit but the HR head talked me out of it. I suspect because of that I was not assigned to work on the Hillary telecast (disgruntled employee and all that), but rather the early-morning shift for our local news show. I was able to sleep fast and get to Philadelphia late in the evening.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

Soggy Otter's picture

No real problems here.

At my workplace, the week or so before and after the fourth is technically "All hands on deck".  But I have so much seniority, and so liked and respescted by management, and they know how much that weekend means to me, that I have never have any problem getting the time off approved.

Same goes for the two weeks I take off in late October/early November to help staff Furpocalypse (formerly FurFright).  The boss knows that Furpoc is even more important to me than AC!

Soggy

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

Oh, there was the year when I was elevated to Director.. and then work suddenly had an issue with my summer vacation that I'd taken for 7 years straight, put in for months ahead of time, etc.

At one point, I handed my chef two slips of paper. "Ont of these is a vacation form, one of these is a resignation form. You get to choose which goes live today."

As it happened, the resignation form was the one. A month later, the restaurant had gone down from being open 7 days a week to 5 and the sous chef had been fired, so I don;t want to *say* I was the one holding the place together...

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.