bag rule for spirit of pittsburgh room

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
4 replies [Last post]
pbockajr's picture

can they be brought in or is there going to be a bag holding  arrangement or area ?

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
BlackJack's picture
This user is a Contributor

If I recall correctly, there's a bag check for the Art Auction area. I don't know of any bag-check for any other area.

Were you looking for a bag-check for the Art Auction or for something else? In general, in all conventions, people carry what they choose to carry and have to live with that. They can return to their rooms to drop things off, but otherwise, what they carry is what they carry.

No votes yet

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

NateKatt's picture

I've had some kind of large wheeled bag with me at AC for years and noone's told me I couldn't.  Except for having to check it at the art show.  I haven't noticed anyone else with such a bag, though.

No votes yet
BlackJack's picture

Except for the one time I carried a laptop around for use as a panelist, I haven't had trouble carrying around my stuff at any convention, and I've gone to conventions in Winter. (Carry a laptop all day like it's nothing, and you darn well will find out it's "something", all right.) Nowadays, there are rolling bags that are easy to bring if you really, really need something (a backpack or light carry-on suitcase.) My rule tends to be that anything that's too heavy or bulky to carry around is not needed. Smiling And an overnighter is the biggest bag I should be expecting to lug around if I really need something.

There's many kinds of conventions in the US, with many kinds of venues. I've attended lots, but none of them have had some sort of bag-holding for the convention as a whole. (The Art Show/Auction is a specific area that's a specific exception.)

No votes yet

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Vulpes Rex's picture

Greetings, pbockajr!

Quote:
can they be brought in or is there going to be a bag holding  arrangement or area ?

Perhaps I am reading your question too literally - or recent world experiences have made me too cautious, situational-awareness-wise - but I am interpreting your question to ask "Is there any prohibition on bringing our own bags into the Spirit of Pittsburgh Ballroom, and if so, is there any provision for leaving the bag with a bag-check service?"

The Spirit of Pittsburgh ballroom is where the large stage events are held, such as the opening and closing ceremonies, talent show/masquerade, etc; and also where the main evening dances take place.  While our security team regulates who goes in and when prior to the performances (so as to keep the room free for A/V setup techs to do their work, and placement/removal of seating), there is no prohibition on you bringing in a bag of stuff you have purchased, no one checking (snooping) inside those bags for anything before allowing you to enter.  Hence, there is no need for a bag-holding arrangement or area, so one is not provided.

As BlackJack has mentioned, there is no other area which requires you to leave your bags behind, EXCEPT within the confines of the Art Show (where cameras and devices including cameras such as cel-phones are also prohibited).  Thanks to willing volunteers, the Art Show does provide a bag-check service FOR THE ART SHOW.  You leave your bag at the bag-check desk before entering the Art Show, receive a token to claim you bag afterwards, and then enter to view an bid on the artwork.  When you leave the Art Show, you are expected to present your token and your bag is cheerfully returned to you.

NOT-SO-SUBTLE-PLUG:  When you go to look at the art in the Art Show, remember that most of it is available for purchase through our auction process - you can place a competitive bid on the art that you like.  Take a moment when you enter to fill out a bidder form and receive a bidder number, so that you can participate in the bidding process.  Having a bidder number is free, and only takes a few minutes, and doesn't commit you to anything unless you actually place a bid (and there are both printed instructions and helpful Art Show Staff to answer questions and help you do that).

Good Luck!

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.