What is the Fate of the Forums?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
7 replies [Last post]
TechnoDragon's picture

Hello everyone,

Anthrocon 2018 continues to approach at an alarming rate, and I was curious if there were any updates on the decision on whether or not the forums are in some form going to be preserved. I know many furs have a lot of history on this site, and still many others (staff included!) have made efforts and contributions that are nothing short of steller. While some of the staff continue to reply to posts made, there still has been no solid answer from them on the future of the forums, which naturally leaves me with a few questions:

Is the site going to be shut down? If so will I get the opportunity to say goodbye to all the people I have come to care about and many of whom I was eventually able to meet in person? What will happen to all 2000+ of my private messages from dozens of furs? If the forums are allowed to survive in some capacity will they somehow phased into the new site, or stay a seperate entity; or will it just become another cog of the ad driven data mining mega-machine that is social media?

I honestly believe that the forums have a purpose and history that is worth preserving, even if it might mean a little more work. The atmosphere of this site has always been positive, with furs lining up to extend a helping paw (or claw ^.=.0) to those in need of advice, information, or roomshares and rides. I still see a lot of people visiting the site, its worth saving. I hope you all will find a way to.

Thank you

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Your rating: None

Please save the Anthrocon Forums. Thank you! <3

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
SarahMowWolf's picture

I too would love to try and save the forums. Even though other media platforms are taking over, I still love the simplicity and the atmostphere of the forums. And is also a special thing to me since I got to meet my mate here and many other furries <3 ^3^... It saddens me that if these forums werent up then I wouldnt of ever met them and my life would've been way different than it is today... Please save the forums!!!! Hug Hug <3

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Crazyjoe1952's picture

Wow and yes in 3 weeks I'll be thair for the party.

No votes yet

Mountain Blue Fox Joe. I'm also on these stations, Fliker .Live Jurnel FetLife Devant Art ,and Furaffinity With lots and lots of pitchers.

Grumpish's picture

I personally like forums. Trying to keep up with a discord or tg that has 800 people in it just isn't my thing.

Keeping em on last year's website probably isn't going to get people to use them. I wonder if they could be incorporated into the new site.

Average: 5 (2 votes)
SarahMowWolf's picture

Another thing I don't really like about The Discord. Yes you could have the chance of getting any questions you have answered right away... IF the mods feel like it, or can at the time. But with the forums I love it, because there are many archived questions and answers so you can either get an answer right away (depending on the subject), or you can create a thread that you can post your question and then one of many furs that still use the forums/mods could answer for you. With the Discord you can't do that without a mod.

Average: 5 (2 votes)
Darkclaw's picture
This user is a Staff Member

We're fighting to keep them, but it's difficult when the loudest voices shout "Twitter twitter!" constantly.   Unfortunatly, the forums also need patching, and right now there is an unwillingness to even do that.

Personally, I prefer forums - I'm not on social media (and I work in Cloud Security) but much prefer this form of interaction. I'm trying to see if there's way to continue them.

Average: 4.5 (2 votes)

Darkclaw T Wolf Esq. AC Staffer 18 Years Internet Room

BlackJack's picture
This user is a Contributor

A few of us posted about forum software that's working on other sites, but nobody replied to us so I don't even know if our posts were read. We were told the main problem is Drupal is not updating and would need to be replaced by software that is updating (and hopefully less glitchy.)
==================================================

Ron Bauerle:
"The only other forums I'm familiar with are the Dilbert blog (Disqus) and the CTC ones (phpBB).

Since I'm not smart-phone literate (don't have one - cable bill's too high as it is), IDK whether either of the above w/b suitable replacements for Drupal.

Rather than rant against kids these days who can't handle "real" web sites, I'll just chalk this up to "nothing (earthly) lasts forever" and thank you for what we had while we did.

I may follow AC on FB if/when the Drupal one goes away but not interact with it much - I've found FB to be yet another place to be ignored. Twitter is too clunky/user-unfriendly to use on real browsers IMHO."
================================================

Glelin:
"PHPBB is tried, true, and now responsive Smiling "
======================================================

Blackjack:
"Since you're asking (I assume completely in good faith), here's what I have....

I'm aware of another independent board that has upgraded software greatly in the past few years. Their current website runs on "Invision Community." https://invisioncommunity.com/

If you like, I'll ask their moderators what they really think of the software, and its strengths and weaknesses. From my experience as a user, however, the stuff allows for posts and pm's and some other stuff depending on the desires of the "client". What we're using seems pretty reliable. The only quibble I have has to do with the rendering of the image for the user icon/avatar- but I don't know if that's customizable as well- everything else seems to be. (Instead of a square or rectangle, we're getting a round window into the more complete image, and I had to experiment to find an image that satisfied me with what was visible through the window.) Again, since it seems fully customizable, it's probably something where the site selected the simplest option and called it a day. (It's NOT a community of artists.)"
==============================================

Pegasus:
"Ever looked at vBulletin ? A lot of forums run it and it's not too expensive.

https://www.vbulletin.com/
=======================================

Did anyone look into those? Did anyone want me to ask about Invision from the staff at the other site?

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Darkclaw's picture
This user is a Staff Member

LOL I know Glelin :)  And yes I'm also familiar with both BB and Vbulletin (The latter being slightly less bug-ridden).

This is a good option, I can ask - since right now Drupal is the core (old) AC website with a Forum add-on, as opposed to standalone Forum - making the updating more painful.

Ultimate decision is up to the Directors.

Darkclaw T Wolf Esq. AC Staffer 18 Years Internet Room

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.