Animator Len Simon announced as 2018 Guest of Honor

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
17 replies [Last post]
Ron Bauerle's picture
This user is a Contributor

https://www.anthrocon.org/goh/

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
MeowthRocket's picture

Not bad!

But curious if it's gnnna be just Len (like Charlie Adler was the solo the year before) or if it's gonna be multipe like in other years.

Not that Len Simon isn't interesting all on his own!

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

Anthrocon tries for at least two GOH every year, but sometimes they just can't get it to happen.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Ron Bauerle's picture

They've added "Digger" artist Ursula Vernon.

https://www.anthrocon.org/goh

Not sure what either one has to do with Felidae (I didn't google it).

On an tangential note, any plans to update this site (https://forums.anthrocon.org/) for 2018?

And a nitpick: "premier" on the main page implies there's more than one...

No votes yet
Vulpes Rex's picture

For what it is worth - FURther CONfusion (FC) did not have any Guests of Honor this year.

Whether the board made the conscious decision to forego having GOH's, or simply couldn't find anyone worthy who was available during the scheduled dates is unknown to me.

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

As happened with BLFC. In neither case did there seem to be much reaction from attendees, which is a data point we're quietly ticking off.

Anthrocon plans to continue having Guests of Honor for the time being, as we think it is an exceelent tradition and a way to honor individuals we respect and appreciate, and in some cases introduce them to the furry fandom (and often the furry fandom to them!). 

No votes yet
Tyrrlin's picture
This user is a Staff Member

So, when are ya getting Frank Welker?  *eyebrow waggle*   Eye-wink

No votes yet

~Tyrrlin

SnowQueen's picture
This user is a Staff Member

That's what I've asked. But he doesn't do conventions. He isn't even on social media.

No votes yet

Assistant Director of Registration

PeterCat's picture

Frank Welker doesn't even do *interviews*. Rob Paulsen tried to get him on his "Talkin' Toons" podcast (back when he'd go interview voice actors in their homes), but he couldn't talk him into it.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

MeowthRocket's picture

Frank DOES do conventions, but more like...... a very select few. He's nowhere NEAR like J.D. Salinger.

No votes yet
MeowthRocket's picture

What about people like Weird Al Yankovic or Dan Castelleneta?

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture

They are lovely people, but neither has much connection to furry works, and Weird Al for certain is not a cheap get.

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

I would certainly hope you dont ever consider to stop having guests of honor.Not only is it a traditon since the begining of conventions.There are a lot of attendees who really want to meet these artists and actors.I for one have been pretty excited to meet quite  a few of them myself.As long as the convention can afford to do so,I would strongly hope they would do so.I dont want anthrocon to become some fursuiting convention like some peope who have never been to them may think it is from seeing youtube videos etc. 

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

I think Weird Al would be really fun to show up but I`m sure hed be very expensive.And he really only has the connection of voicing a pony in my little pony tv series. He would be a better fit for a pony con if he could be afforded by one.It does make me wonder if I was a multi millionare, what it would cost to hire a musician to preform for you  for a night.I`m sure for Al hed probably charge you the equivikent of three concerts if he attended 3 days since hed be loosing out on any ability to make money those three days as well as his crew.

No votes yet
MeowthRocket's picture

Ok, I get it. Suggesting "Weird Al" wasn't thought out through!

I don't know what goes into bookings and all that.

I just know we've, as pricey as my suggestions are, also had people like Lee Tockar, Charlie Adler, Jim Cummings...... and I know that THEY must be pricey too!

Ok, maybe not Lee. He seems like he just does these things because they seem fun and to that I have major props. Not that Adler and Cummings aren't respected too, but....

You all know what I mean right????

Hell, it's not like I was suggesting someone like Al Gore!

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

To the best of my knowledge, Anthrocon pays their guests travel expenses, their transportation to and from the airport, their hotel suite and give them a fairly generous amount per day for food and other expenses.  They also get tables in the Dealers Room... and that's it.

Other problems with a guest who is popular with the general public (such as any reasonably well known singer or group) is where will they perform and how can you handle the crush?  The largest space available at the convention center is Hall A, I believe.  How long will setup/teardown take?  That could mean we lose it for the Parade and have no group photo... and possibly the Parade as well.  Second, when it get publicized that performer X (to avoid mentioning names) will be at Anthrocon and performing, there will be a crush to buy memberships just to see them... and Hall A isn't THAT big.  So, until Anthrocon can afford to rent Heinz Field, there won't be any well known performers.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Rick2tails's picture

well just to nitpick one point.While I know you just picked Heinz field as an example.If there ever was enough of a budget or crowd that the convention center was insufficent there are other venues smaller then Heinz field. (64,000 plus ) the baseball field PNC park holds less  ( 38,000 plus )   , and the hockey arena holds less than that  (19,700 plus) still those venues dwarf any need the convention has (and budget) by many multiples. 

No votes yet
PeterCat's picture

Professional performers often do ask for appearance fees, it's what they do for a living, and their manager/agent may insist -- when they spend time with us they're not available for other jobs that may come up. It's just another expense to work into the budget, if we can afford to.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.