Sending my praise and support to AC!

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
8 replies [Last post]
CyanTPC's picture

After learning about Midwest FurFest's attendance figures, and how they've grown to be the new largest fur con worldwide, there's a message I want to give to Anthrocon.  Anthrocon is still an outstandingly great convention.  Size isn't everything.  Even though it's no longer the highest attended fur con in the world, AC is still an incredible convention.  This isn't just a weekend where people from several parts of the world come together to celebrate furry fandom.  There are those who donate to the convention's selected charities each year.  There are those who meet other people and present ideas on how this hobby can be used.  There are those who become introduced to this fandom at this convention, gain joy from people they meet there, and become interested in getting involved in this community.  People's lives have been changed for the better from attending this con.  I, for one, when I first attended AC in 2011, hit an essential milestone in my life.  Every chance I got at coming back to Pittsburgh for this amazing convention, I took.  If there's anything that gets people to come back each year, as well as encourage those who haven't been to AC, yet to go, you know, at least one thing about this convention is going right! 

In addition to happy attendees, this is a convention that helps strengthen the economy for the city it takes place in.  This is a convention that encourages local businesses embrace this fandom, welcoming them with open arms.  This is a convention that the city of Pittsburgh wants to keep in their city every year.  I can't say how MFF has affected the town of Rosemont, IL, but we do know that Pittsburgh loves Anthrocon.  These are things AC should definitely be proud of!

Anthrocon has made history in the furry community, and will continue to do so.  Convention staff, volunteers, and everyone else involved make AC the great convention it is.  It's one reason why I choose to volunteer at AC, and am honored to help out.  Regardless of other conventions' attendance figures, I suspect AC's attendance will still continue to grow and grow.  As long as you keep satisfying your attendees, help your charities, help your home city of Pittsburgh, and do other great things, Anthrocon will continue to remain a great convention.  You should take great pride in what you do!

Highfive Huggle

Average: 2.5 (2 votes)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Ron Bauerle's picture
This user is a Contributor

By over 1000, no less.

No votes yet
Boven's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Over 1000 more?  Dang.   That's impressive. 

Does this mean that the news outlets will now bug MFF when they wanna do stories about furries?  ;D

No votes yet
charlieg's picture

If they do, I hope MWFF has someone as competent as Uncle Kage for a spokesman.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Coyoty's picture

Next year they could have OVER 9000!!!!!

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture

On the very slim chance nobody gets that reference:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/its-over-9000

No votes yet
animal16365's picture

MFF may have the weather (colder temps) on its side. They don't have the public image that Anthrocon has garnered over the years. 

No votes yet

Trying to be abnormal in a normal world

Soggy Otter's picture

OK, fellow fuzz-butts.  Here's my take on the whole "We've got a bigger furry-con than you do! Nyah-nyah-nyahnyahnyah!" Thing.

It doesn't matter.

This ain't a beauty/popularity contest. (Or a ***** measuring contest! XD)  We're all in this together!

We choose to attend cons that are within our cost/travel/vacation-time abilities.
And MFF is well out of my range.
Even AC is barely within the range that I am willing to drive for a three day event.
Why dont I fly?  Flying is expensive, a big hassle, and I always bring a CARP-load (That's how we otters say it! XD) of snacks, drinks, and other stuff to a furry-con.  So I prefer to drive.

I staff at Furpocalypse (formerly FurFright) here in Connecticut.  In it's last year, FurFright hit 1500 attendees.  And Furpocalypse has been in the high 1000s since then.  Which is fine with me.  Because if our attendance numbers get too much over 1500, we will have to start looking for a bigger venue.

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

bigsiouxwolf's picture

Different cons have different dynamics with their attendees and the communities in which they are held. Anthrocon has the relationship it does with Pittsburgh partly because the city wanted us to begin with, something that has happened to no other furry con as far as I am aware. At the same time, we have become the center of media attention not because of numbers, but because Kage, for better or worse, has volunteered to be the de facto spokesman for the fandom.  This is a public showcase of furry and some aren't comfortable with a con being that kind of display. MFF by contrast has never concerned itself with that and that could explain their higher growth rate. Plus, they're stuck out in airport land where it's much harder to be center of community attention.

Every con does the best they can with what they have. The only question to ask yourself is whether it's worth the time and money invested to get to. For me, AC is and always will be. It's at a good time of the year and I can get there by train, often for free. MFF while I have to put up with the inconvenience of flying, carries the advantage of attracting friends who I wouldn't see otherwise. The only thing attendance numbers are really good for is forcing the hotels to make good deals with us, and when that happens, we all win. Besides, who knows how long MFF can hold on to that title. If BLFC could get the whole hotel to themselves, they may end up being number one in a few years.

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.