What kind of thread should I get for a sewing machine in Furpocalypse's headless lounge?

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
2 replies [Last post]
Soggy Otter's picture

A couple of years ago I learned that AC has an actual sewing machine in it's headless lounge.  And I thought to myself:  "Now that is a damn good idea!  I'm gonna keep my eye out for a sewing machine at the local tag/garage/estate sales."  And, a few months ago, I scored a nice basic-but-solid Singer portable in all-but-new condition, for less than what I generally pay for a case of decent beer!

I have already bought a 24-pack of thread in many colors, and enough empty bobbins to preload one in every color.

My question is this:  The thread I bought is your standard generic poly thread.  Should I get something heavier?  (Obviously, the machine will mostly be used for quick temporary repairs.)

Also:  What kind of "pressure feet" should I supply to sew plush?  (I know how to use a sewing machine, but I don't know the lingo! Smiling Eye-wink )

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Soggy Otter

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
D_Duncan's picture

In regards to thread I use just standard generic thread. I will admit that I'm not a professional fursuit maker, so maybe I'm wrong here, but I have a reason:

If a seam were to pop on my fursuit, for whatever reason, that means that something is going to tear or break. This could be the fur and/or the thread. I would prefer to keep the thread as the weakest link in an attempt to ensure that the fur will NOT tear. It's much easier to replace thread than a piece of fur.

No votes yet
Soggy Otter's picture

Thanks for the input, Duncan.  Good points!  Sounds like I'm on the right track.

Furpocalypse (like most furry-cons) does have some basic repair supplies in it's lounge (glue-gun, needles and thread, whatever...) but I figured that an actual sewing machine would be the icing on the cake!

Not a suiter myself, but I love our suiters, and NOTHING is too good for them!

Still hoping that some actual fursuit makers will chime in here tho...

Soggy

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.