An "interesting" encounter at Anthrocon 2017...

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
5 replies [Last post]
Soggy Otter's picture

One evening after dark (Saturday IIRC) I was returning to the Westin from the DLCC, and I was crossing Penn Ave when I saw something on the sidewalk near the bike-lane, so I stopped and picked it up.  And when I straightened up there was some guy dancing around in front of me with his fists up in front of him all "Marcus of Queensbury" style, and he is babbling:  "Hi!  How you doing!? What's up!? Where are you going?!  What are you doing?!  What did you just pick up?! blah, blah, blah."

Needless to say, I instantly snapped into "security mode" and started thinking fast...  "OK.  Situational Analysis:  Looks like I've got a bit of a nutter here!  But he doesn't seem to be armed, and I do have the height, weight, and (hopefully) sanity advantages in my corner, so I should be able handle him if things get ugly.  And even though he is bouncing around with his fists up, he hasn't gotten TOO close yet, so that's good!  And even though he is babbling a bit crazily, he is actually using good english and forming complete sentences, and his voice has a friendly, happy ring to it.  So yeah, for now, I'm filing this guy under "Mostly Harmless".  I'm not going to do anything to escalate the situation.  I'm just gonna handle this calm, cool, and friendly-like."

So I looked down at the object in my paw, and told him:  "I'm not really sure...  It looks like some little reflector thingy...  Maybe from a bike?"

I let bim babble on for a few more seconds, and then said:  "Umm...  OK...?  Bye?"

I then walked around him.  And as I passed, he gave me a friendly pat on the shoulder!

And I continued on into the Westin.  Shaking my head, and grinning and chuckling!

Later I thought to myself:  "Ya know, you really should have reported the incident to security.  Because although for you, it was pretty much a non-event (Situation encountered, analyzed, and dealt with.  No fuss, no muss!) but for someone smaller and/or weaker than you, it would have been a very scary encounter!"  So yeah.  The next time something like that happens to me, I will make it a point to mention it to the first Dorsai or redshirt that I encounter.

All in all, another "fun" memory for the ol' AC scrapbook!

Soggy

Average: 4 (1 vote)
Your rating: None

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Glelin's picture

Sounds baity. I wonder if someone was nearby with a camera.

Average: 4 (1 vote)

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

Rick2tails's picture

you know i think i saw the same guy, goofball doing some sort of exagerated boxing motion talking oddly to another guy.I didnt think nothing of it since no one was fighting and it was still daylight and people act silly at cons.I wonder if someone was trying to do some sort of porformance art. Kind of like the " british explorers" interacting with the fursuits the one night.

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Soggy Otter's picture

Rick and Glelin,

That thought had indeed occured to me as well.

But if it was some kind of "perfomance art", I would advise the person to stop it.  Because they are putting their life in very serious jeopardy.  Not everyone is as calm, cool, and collected as I am.  If you are going to confront a total stranger with your fists raised (especially well after dark, as in my case) then some people are going to "shoot first and ask questions later".  And I am not sure that any jury in the land would convict them.

Soggy

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Lexa Wolf's picture

I was in the same area, when a guy ran over to me, and grabbed me. I was in my suit, so I didn't see anything. I was with two handlers, they didn't even see it coming. The guy let go, then took off. It happened so quickly, that we didn't really have time to react.

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

with the publicity and "oddness" that fursuits and furry is to some people.There could be the possibility we could attract a local mental ill fellow.Hopefully we would never have any stabbing or shooting or such.But I suppose it just  proves that no matter the setting,you should stay aware of your surroundings and be alert.And if anything is too out of the oridinary to report it to proper authorities.

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.