This is a big ask... but I need your help to help me fulfill a promise to my dying sister.

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
15 replies [Last post]
QueenieDeerHart's picture

Hey there everyone *waves*

My name is Nikki. I'm an ex-pat Brit who now lives in Portland Oregon. I'm a grey-muzzle but certainly don't act like it. You might know me in the furry fandom as Chimichanga The Fox or more recently, Queenie Octavie Christna Deerhart, the annoying Border Collie who has somehow become Furlandia's resident MC

I've been in the furry fandom for about 17 years now. In fact, I entered the furry fandom shortly before losing my dad to Brain Cancer in 2001 when I was still a young whippersnapper at college. I've spent many years lurking, and finally (after doing the whole getting married and adopting kids thing) started fursuiting last year. 

Since then, I've become something of a public suiting addict, helping out at local events to entertain attendees, visiting conventions, and raising money for various charities. I'm also part of a fursuit group who visit a local children's hosptial once a month to bring the smiles. 

Sometimes, when I'm lucky, I get to hang with friends who make videos of our adventures. Othertimes, I manage to capture things on my own. Either way, making and sharing videos are great fun!

But here's where I need your help. You see, two weeks before Furlandia, my big sister back in the UK was admitted to hosptial with a severe bad back. She'd been having constant back pain for six weeks. And the next day, she lost the use of her legs, and control of anything below her chest. A scan revealed that the breast cancer she'd beated back in 2014 has returned, eating away one vertibrae completely and damaging another six to the point that nothing works any more. The tumor is invasive, agressive, and tackling her spinal colum, so they can't operate. 

She face-timed me ten days ago to say goodbye ahead of a risky operation in case she didn't make it. (She has an inherited heart condition and thus it was super risky). She made it (just) and then called me a few days later to ask me to do something for her funeral. 

She's a priest in the Church of England, but she's also well aware that I'm an athiest. That said, we love each other dearly, and she's the best damned sister you could hope for. She speaks up for GLBT rights (I'm gay and trans, having transitioned in my early twenties) and more recently, a fur friend!

She told me that as I'm so far away she doesn't expect me to make the funeral and that doing so might be aksward anyway. But given she's deaf -- and many of those attending will be -- she's asked me to do something that made me lose my s***. 

She wants me to make a fursuit video. A special fursuit video. About the love and enjoyment, and wonderful people that make up our community. She wants to spread the love. She wants it to be quirky. She wants people to smile at her funeral. And she wants me to make it happen. 

I've been thinking about it a lot in the last few days. It's made me sad, and it's made me proud to be her little sister. 

Thanks to the wonderful team at Furlandia, I was able to keep it together last weekend, and I managed to keep my appointment to fursuit at the local hosptial today. But I'm daunted at the prospect of going home to say goodbye (my flight leaves on Friday this week). 

It's likely that she will still be with us by the time AC rolls around, but the prognosis long term isn't good. Therefore, I'm wondering if someone, anyone, can help me make a video that will bring light and joy to a sad passing. Not for me, but for my sister. And my mom, who has not only lost the love of her life to cancer, but now faces losing their first-born child too. 

Can you help? I don't even know how I'd even start to arrange this. I'm so exhausted... Emotionally and mentally. 

Queenie. x

Average: 5 (3 votes)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Lexa Wolf's picture

I'm sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. I would love to help with making a video. Just tell me what you need, and I'll help

No votes yet
Tyzoo's picture

We can do our damb best to help! What do you need?

No votes yet
MoeraeAkane's picture

Hello,

There are a few angles you can approach this from, namely grassroot or ask to hold an event at a convenient time during the convention.

Grassroot:

Try to reach out on all social media for AC by asking for photographer and filmer's help. Organize a giant collab and or individual footage with people who would like to volunteer to help.

Hold an Event:

Panel requesting is too late already, but contact the programming board regardless about this and see what they can offer to help. Getting suiters to be at a location during specfic time and advocate the event for photographer/filmer to partcipate in. 

Either way, you should reach out to photographers and filmers known to do videos at AC, look on youtube, there are a lot and most of them produce excellent products.

Hope this helped.

No votes yet
Shayd's picture

I'll help, I'm not known for con videos but I do have good experience with flying camera that I bring and I always give the footage away. If you want me to help you film something/someone I'll be glad to.

Average: 5 (1 vote)
MeowthRocket's picture

I'd be glad to say a few words for your sis. God bless you.

No votes yet

Hello everyone, 

Well, I've certainly had some lovely offers from people and for that, I'm blown away. Thank you! 

Right now, I'm sitting in Amsterdamn with some pretty severe jet lag, so I won't make any final decisions as to what we're going to do until I'm actually feeling a little more awake. 

But, with any luck, things look like she'll be with us during con. At least, I hope so. 

I'm going to have a think and reach out to some folks on the team. Maybe we can figures something out? Right now however, my brain says 1+1 = Fur^Floof. 

No votes yet
kirrlaos's picture

I'd be more than happy to send her some well wishes in whatever format you agree on, I'm not a suiter, but I'm a big softy and will as said be happy to send her some very well wishes.

When you settle on something, just pm me, I know how cancer is and how rough it is, I lost 3 family members to it and my mom has betten it 3 times in roughly two years.

Much love to you and your sister

P.S. 

I am rooming with a few suiters, once you agree on something, I will try to get them involde as well <3

No votes yet
SweetDrop's picture

I can help with a video.~ My whole room including myself are suiters so if you need help just ask. 

No votes yet

::May your wings guide you::

SweetDrop's picture

Hug

No votes yet

::May your wings guide you::

Hi everyone, 
Well, after visiting my sister (Queenie came, yay) I'm ready to start planning AC video. As things are going right now, there's a 50:50 chance she'll still be around and the same she won't be. So if she's still with us (I hope) I'm going to be working with a good vidographer friend of mine to make a video. 
We're still planning the logistics, but I'm hoping someone on the events team can help us plan a space. 

Rooftop perhaps? Failing that, maybe somewhere in the Zoo... 

No votes yet

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply. Things are pretty dire here, and my sister only has a few days (or weeks) left. She's no-longer eating. The Caner is everywhere. 

I've got a videographer (the Video lead for Furlandia) who is rooming with me. I'll post a date and time soon. Sorry for the radio silence. I'm... struggling to be honest. And where it not for my promise to my sister, I'd probably be skipping AC. 

Please be gentle. 

Q. 

No votes yet

Okay. So I've started a Telegram chat group -- https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAA6dnKZBedyxytK1Cw -- To try and help coordinate. 

In terms of filming, I think Sunday morning might work... 9am? On the Roof? 

No votes yet
Cobra Mcjinglebals's picture

if you're there on thurs the 29th 730 before furry cruise, lotsa of fursuiters lining up in evening light, perfect time, just make arrangements, they will be there

No votes yet

Well, here we are. It's been a really long time since I last posted, but the video is finally here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enXOdQVGYGE

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this. x

No votes yet
Pegasus's picture

Beautiful video!

...and sorry about your sister Sad

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.