AC 2016 Registration Feedback

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
24 replies [Last post]
Gabi's picture
This user is a Staff Member

-First of all, I would like to say that allowing people to register online was a great idea, as it made the on-site registration line much shorter!

-I think we need to find a way to mark the spot for those people to pick their badges more clearly. We only added the green-hatted sign on the last day and, while it did help, some people still got confused (although far less so than they did before we put the sign). Any idea what we should do next year to let people know that's the place to pick up their badges if they just registered online and have already paid, but not if they pre-registered, nor if they still need to pay?

-I also think the help desk was also a great idea. As more and more people come to AC, we have more and more issues (both with pre-reg and on-site); and it's good to have a way to resolve those issues without stopping the lines.

-I wonder... How was that weird issue about the 2 people with the same badge number sorted out in the end?

-Finally, I know the website clearly states that everyone who's 13 or older needs an ID, but a lot of people still overlook that. Is there a way to make it more blatantly obvious? Like, say... a flashing red sign in large letters that shows up on top of the registration form? Or maybe a checkbox forcing people to promise to bring a photo ID for everyone aged 13 or above?

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Kittynoy's picture

I pre-reged. It took me 30 seconds to collect my badge.

Good job, team.

No votes yet
Isefet's picture

I am glad I did Sponcer online. It made everything so much better when picking up. Intend to do the same thing this year. I am not waiting on the line of death ever again.

No votes yet
acinonyxjubatusrex's picture

I pre-regged, went to pick up my badge on Thursday afternoon, and only spent about 5 minutes in line. Seriously, everyone: if you know beforehand that you're going to be attending Anthrocon, PRE-REGISTER. It's fast, convenient, and saves you hours of precious time waiting in line when you could be having fun instead. It'll also save you a couple bucks on a basic membership, depending on when you do it!

On a slight tangential note: I was surprised at how many people I saw on social media complaining about waiting in the on-site reg line who were actually hosting panels or meetups at AC. I would think that when you received notice of your submitted panel having been approved, you'd pre-register for the con at that time.

No votes yet
BlackJack's picture
This user is a Contributor

And "I don't have a credit card" is not an excuse.
If you don't have a credit or debit card to put it on,
and don't want to buy a gift card for it,
you can still snail-mail it in with a postal money order
from your local post office.

If you know you're going, and the cutoff for pre-registration
hasn't passed, pre-register!

No votes yet

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

Nikas_Zekeval's picture

Admittedly I was able to walk right up and be the next person in line, but it fluctuated.  By the time I was done there were about ten people waiting in line behind me, and the line next to me for the next batch of pre-regged names started at that long when I showed up.

OTOH it still beat out on site reg, and this year the pre-reg lines were no where near the epic length of 2014.

No votes yet
Soggy Otter's picture

And at some time, the badge-printers were down for a while.

Another very good reason to pre-reg.  For the badges for pre-reg attendees are printed up long before the con.  Where those printing them up, often play "The Furry Con Badge Drinking Game". laughing hard   http://www.crescendo.net/fun/conbadge/  (And with those rules, I'm surprised that they manage to print out more than a dozen badges, before they all get too drunk to continue! Eye-wink )

Soggy Otter

(Whose name is worth two drinks!)

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

charlieg's picture

You're worth two drinks but when they run across mine, the reaction is "Oh, God!  HE'S attending again this year?!" and they just empty the bottle.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Vulpes Rex's picture

According to their badge-rater, I'm only worth a single tipple.

The "Rex" should count as a title!

No votes yet
Soggy Otter's picture

Actually,according to their calculator, "Soggy Otter" is only worth one shot.

But that is only because it doesn't equate the word Soggy with the word Water.  And Water is an elemental, so it should count.

Anyway, at the very real risk of having people assume that I am a diaperfur.  (And yes, that has actually happened! Annoyed laughing hard )  I only ever have them print "SOGGY" on my badge.

Soggy (not that kind of soggy) Otter

No votes yet

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Gabi's picture

Hey, my name can help people stay sober! ^_^

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

mine inspires no drinking as well .. not sure if thats good or bad

No votes yet
Techwolf's picture

I got mine in less then 10 minutes. It also helps to pre-reg super sponcer.

As I was leaving, I over heard "The badge printer is down" while looking at the long line that snaked back and forth a dozens times. WHO in there right mind brings ONE badge printer to a convention of 6,000?!?!?

I will give props to whoever finially figure out that long que lines can be best managed with "ropes" devices to compact the line down to a large area. Haunted Houses do this all the time. Smiling

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

We brought three.

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture

So what ended up being the problem? Wrong tool for the job, improper set-up, or ??

No votes yet
krin's picture

What went wrong:

We ran for about 100 badges and then the first of the three  printers went on holiday.

So scramble we did and after:

1. "Clean me" lights lit up and were taken care of with cleaning as per the helpful manual page.
  2. The device stopped being recognized as a printer and was swapped out for another
    (on repeat we tried all 3 printers on both print servers, they all went on strike in protest of this). 
  3. The custom printer manager software decided it needed some love too and started giving connection errors. It was restarted and was finally re-installed.
  4. The custom print drivers belong to the same union and crashed next, they were restarted and finally had to be re-installed,
  5. "Clean me harder" lights (actually a real thing) lit up and were greeted with dread and despair but  there was a manual page on how to do that too and we followed it.
  6. "Clean me with a spoon" lights were never seen nor found, but we know the printers were thinking it as they laughed.
  7. All during this, things were rebooted, restarted, power cycled, waited 30 seconds, unplugged, plugged, pampered, cuddled, etc.

The above list was repeated multiple times and it looked for a while like the printers were actually unusable.

What fixed it...  

Simple answer.  "Act of Kage"

No joke.

Kage made the "we are going to get you badges, one way or another"announcement.
The Sharpies(tm) and badge blanks were readied.
People with handwritting skills were gathering. 

Kage proceeded to make one last attempt to render aid.
(Having done 5000 badges at home, he had developed a working relationship with them) 

He held his hands over the print servers and printers and say "WORK."
The printers thought about it a second, tried to plead for mercy with yet another "Clean me" light.
He looked at the pale blinking green diode with his cold angry eyes.
Sternly fed them the required card offering (we were running short at this time).
And laid his hands upon them and said "WORK DAMMIT OR THE RIVER GETS YOU."

The printers then started printing again and worked all weekend.
(within acceptable levels of tempermental printer like behaviors)

Except for the next afternoon during my only sit down lunch of the con.
They ate and melted a ribbon cartridge.  Yes.  melted.  Evil things.

I whispered to them as I put in the new ribbon cartridge "River".

And so we made it to the end of convention with no more printer problems.

- krin (the guy with the hat who fought and lost the battle with the printers)
Assistant Director for On-site Registration 

PS.  These printers are designed for small badge runs.  Not 1000's at a time.  They require frequent cleaning and maintence.  And they are cranky.
PPS. I woun't say it's the maker of the printers fault, We have a VERY non-standard usage pattern and all.
PPS.  Custom print drivers, custom print manager, windows 8 and a HP with more OEM software for printing.  Shoot me. Please.

Average: 5 (5 votes)
Ron Bauerle's picture

I assume Kage didn't have such problems since he was
only running a hundred or so (+/- 3X?) at a time...

I also assume these were new printers - were the ones used previously
(that presumably didn't have these issues) scrapped or something?

No votes yet
SnowQueen's picture

These were not new printers. We've had these for a few years, at least.

No votes yet

Assistant Director of Registration

Ron Bauerle's picture

Why the problems this year? Are they wearing out,
or did you push them harder than before?

No votes yet
krin's picture

His "working relationship" with the printers is a bit unsettling to watch and not for the squeamish, delicate of constitution, or faint of heart. Problems were had, the printers have proven to be better than the old ones and yet not trouble free. This is the second year we've had them and we only lost one to "obstenance" the first year. The learning curve is a bit high but as we progress the troubles become easier to deal with and we will move past the "burn in" period for each printer. Our usage pattern of 6k-7k badges printed a month with a 9hr road in the middle and at the end followed by 11 months of low use, is not inside the usual and expected usage envelope. Weve had years in the past (2006?) were the third ago printers simply burned out durning the con. So I'm happy we got them working.

No votes yet
Sarahcat.'s picture

Got my badge in 2 minutes with no issues. Good job guys! Maybe more people will learn to pre-register for next year.

No votes yet
backdrop12's picture

I was the dude who worked on 4 books on thursday and I was glad that everyone got their badges in a speedy matter . The staff and the furs in line were just wonderfull to say the least ^.^ Highfive

Two issues tho :

1- You guys need to get better printers for next year. Some people did not have their names on the said badge . Hell , The ranting gryphon had his smudged when I gave it to him X3 . Just a tip up

2- IDs may need to be a bit more stricter . I had one person come up to me with a ID punched out with the word " void " and a photy copy of the same ID without the void punchout on it . I talked with the manager / director at the time and she let him through . I see that as a huge security breach and may need to be improved in the near future ASAP .

Also , I dont know how to enforce the ID for 13+ . The minimum age to get a non drivers ID in NJ is 14 so I do not know how that would work on a state by state case.

No votes yet

FAUs Atteneded: 2016

Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

As for Printers: People are allowed to have badges without any name, and sometimes people err in not filling out their badgenames. A smudged badge is certainly a problem, though!

As for ID problems: Registration generally tries to be thorough but lenient. Passing it up to the Assistant Director as you did was the right choice. The Assistant Directors have seen lots of different problematic IDs, and they're the ones that make the judgment calls, or pass it up higher to the Director of Registration. There's times the Director has to turn away someone from Anthrocon, and it's a choice not made lightly-- you might be turning someone away who's travelled hundreds of miles to attend the con. It's call that has to be made on both information and instinct.

No votes yet
Ron Bauerle's picture

Quote:
People are allowed to have badges without any name,
and sometimes people err in not filling out their badgenames.

Hopefully the badge number issue gets sorted out...

No votes yet
SnowQueen's picture

We're working on it, Ron.

No votes yet

Assistant Director of Registration

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.