Some drone footage

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
25 replies [Last post]
Shayd's picture

I took a camera drone to the convention hoping to record a lot of stuff and make into a complication video. None of that happened and I still have little bit of footage from the flights left that could be used so if anybody is interested in using a at least few seconds of it in their video as a scenery shot or such go ahead I'm posting a link to my Google Drive although I'm pretty sure they files there have been compressed in some way so if needed I will send you the raw files.

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8UPrl0OBetLdTNNLVgtTjRWeEE&usp=sharing

The two shots that could actually be useful and I like are:

DJI0002 - About 1:30 there is a short shot of the people in suits before flyaway pointing at the convention center (The wind hit the gimbal and reset it that's why there is a twitch)

DJI0006 - Just few seconds in after I center the quadcopter.

Sorry I don't have more, westin and Convention center would not let me fly anywhere else and the weather did not cooperate for a fly around the Westin's entrance, I kept getting water drops on the lens and ruining the footage. I did not film the parade because the Anthrocon staff and police would shit their pants full after seeing that thing racing around.

Average: 5 (3 votes)
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
San
San's picture

That footage is breathtaking! It's awesome to see us that way! 

Average: 4 (1 vote)

Woof!

Namrepus221's picture

The footage looks stunning man. What kind of unit were you flying?

As far as the con, yeah they are kinda anal about those things for a reason. The potential to damage the convention center as a whole (a prop gouging a wall), injury to someone (prop to a body part), or damage to the unit itself (suiter gets too playful and knocks it down causing one of the previous 2) is too great to allow them anywhere in the convention center or hotel

I did think that someone from the city would've brought one and used it for shooting footage of the parade, but I guess no one wanted to chance it

No votes yet
Shayd's picture

The drone is an Inspire 1. I really wanted to film the parade but couldn't find someone from security to tell me a solid YES or NO. I only that permisssion from Kage to film on the roof except nobody wanted to pose for me and there was suprisingly little people there in the first place.

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Namrepus221's picture

Nice. My aunt and I just got a Phantom 3 Professional ourselves. Have yet to take it out to fly because the weather is so crappy right now we don't want to risk the drone getting damaged in the rain or lost because of a gust of wind.

Yeah the rooftop is highly subjective for when people hang out. It's hard to pinpoint when you were flying (I did notice a group of furs from Asia there during a photoshoot, but I can't find anything on when that shoot took place. I am trying to check twitter for pics now). But the shots really look amazing. Sometimes you get lucky and there's a dozen suiters out there. Sometimes you don't and there maybe like 5 people there.

I am thinking of hosting a panel next year about flying these kinds of drones and much smaller "non prosumer" type stuff and how to get into the hobby.

If you do decide to come next year, would love to have you there if we can get the panel space.

No votes yet
panzier's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Excellent footage, its much more stable than I would have thought!   Filming indoors might be tricky and the convention center has a hi tech optical smoke detector, anything that breaks the beam traversing the roof area inside sets off the fire alarm.  Outdoors could be a possibility but that'd be up to the board.  I don't know if PA has any rules about filming in a hotel, CA has some zany ones.   If you change your mind about coming back and want to video the parade, ask the board, can start with

Thanks for sharing the views around the convention center, that's pretty awwesome.

No votes yet
Shayd's picture

We'll see, I will be attending FAU in two months (Probably) but about AnthroCon it's too early to tell.

Sharky's picture

fricking so so cool

No votes yet

Sharky

I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. ...

Shayd's picture

Not sure if doublepost but if I actually take the effort to attent Anthrocon again and I will get permission from AnthroCon board to use the drone to film the parade and do quick fly-bys I will get secondary remote control and a trusted second pilot. This way I can fully focus on controlling the drone avoiding any obstacles while the other guy controls the camera pointing it at suits and other points of interest.

Average: 5 (2 votes)
PeterCat's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

I think the footage looks awesome! The main concern is finding a way to be sure it's done safely. Secondarily also to ensure privacy, at one point in the footage we can see a fursuiter who has doffed his head.

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

Shayd's picture

To be honest, you can always blur put faces post-process if the footage goes live. as for safety I know all the laws as well as controls. Notice how I never hover just above people as the sonar sensor that gains distance from the ground would freak out as the sound waves would be absorbed by anything fluffy and soft instead of bouncing back so the rule is no closer than 10 feet to a person.

desteredra's picture

A face wouldn't be enough for me, but maybe if you blurred out my entire body, or better yet, blacked it out...

No votes yet
Zippy Coyote's picture

It seems technology is out-pacing Convention Administrations and Convention Security Administrators.   Doesn't suprise me - I've been outpaced for a dozen years now.  I just let it whiz by and I say "Wow!"

Horrorshow Viddys, BTW!

No votes yet

Zippy Coyote

CoyoteNet

C*net 1-265-5101

TechnoDragon's picture

So cool! Smiling

No votes yet

Please save the Anthrocon Forums. Thank you! <3

Sharky's picture

Can we make the drone a furry ?  Add some ears and a tail to it !!

Sharky

I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. ...

Shayd's picture

That was the idea and I roamed around Dealers room for one but because of the drone nature and the landing gear that raises up and thrust force that it produces the ears could easily get caught in a propeller and cause rather fast descent.

No votes yet
Coyoty's picture

Someone did make a drone out of a dead cat.

Average: 4 (1 vote)
Shayd's picture

It was in the news and I don't like that idea at all.

Cause's picture

Wow. Totally awesome! Never seen the con from that angle. Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing.

No votes yet

<:3 )~ A fat RAT knows where the food is at. 

Shayd's picture

I will likely be coming back next year for the 20th AnthroCon more organized and with better upgraded version of it hoping to film more including the parade as well as dancing competition if circumstances allow. but to achieve high quality shots like HERE the quadcopter requires two pilots, one to fly and control it while other to independly move the camera 360 Degrees adjusting angle or centering the camera on moving object allowing the pilot to focus entirely on flight.

Anyone interested in helping me fly an oversized RC toy?

atus11's picture

Yeah, I'm interested in giving you a hand.

I have been flying drones off and on for around two years now, and have a few flight hours logged for single engine aircraft... but that I think I like hobby flying a bit more than general aviation. With my experience there, I am a confident in my skill with performance and film quadcopters. If you need me to fly, I can do that. (It sounds like you will be needing a cameraman more than a pilot, which is cool. Thought I would let you know I am familiar with drones, so filming with similar remote control apparatus would be moderately familiar to me.)

As for video is concerned, I have a fair amount of experience with film and photography from personal experience and academic experience. I am knowledgeable with the rules of film and photography and technical aspects of lighting, as well as general experience with various video and photographic cameras from school and work I used to do. With that, I can be a picky and strict cameraman/photographer.

This will be my first con, so if you need a hand I would be thrilled to help! It would be an awesome first experience. 

No votes yet
Shayd's picture

Sounds great but I'm having trouble getting in touch with the board to get permission to film in the first place.

panzier's picture

Did you drop an email to ?

-Panz

No votes yet
Shayd's picture

Honestly I have not, soon after posting this thread and footage someone from the Board/Staff has contacted me and offered to let me film the parade and dance competition but He has not answered me in a while. I will not post a name of his.

Shayd's picture

The previous person has sadly cancelled on me. He won't be making it to this years Anthrocon (Next year buddy).

Anyone else want to help me out with getting some footage?

Oliver aka Goldie's picture

I did enjoy the 2016 footage, which was extensive, but this year the drone's flight ended suddenly and sadly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGWXnmz3vc (Go to 26:16)

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.