2015 Wine Tasting

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
47 replies [Last post]
ArtSlave's picture

The wine tasting will be held in the Mariott #1713 Saturday at 9pm. Show up early or late, doesn't matter to us. We'll be calling it at 1:30am so we can all get some rest!

Walking directions to the Mariott: Liberty to Seventh and walk 4 blocks Smiling It's about a 10 minute walk. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Westin+Convention+Center,+Pittsburgh,+1000+Penn+Avenue,+Pittsburgh,+PA+15222/Pittsburgh+Marriott+City+Center,+112+Washington+Place,+Pittsburgh,+PA+15219/@40.4408593,-79.9929836,17z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x8834f3e280b3ce5f:0x69e7db8e16c9758b!1m2!1m1!1s0x8834f15ecc2020fd:0xfd5ae41a483d2c37!3e2

Average: 4.1 (8 votes)
Your rating: None

"We sleep soundly in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence apoun those which would do us harm." "Molon Labe!"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Rick2tails's picture

"contact boards"? if you mean the physical boards put up outside the zoo where people can communicate with each other  with thumbtacked pieces of paper then yes they have gotten rid of them. they have decided the jokes out weigh the actual communication . I feel the jokes where the best part of it all along. But the con gets to decide such stuff on how to use their limited resources  not us. WHat I really miss is printed loose paper maps of the dealers room. I hope they will provide ones online at least a week before   that i can at least print out before I leave for Pittsburgh

No votes yet
Chiaroscuro's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

We may, MAY be reinstituting the Pink Monster (as we dubbed the message board) in the 2016 Zoo. It seems a little antiquated and inefficient to us in the age of smartphones, but we are considering.

Dealer's Room map is coming soon!

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

Bear in mind there are antiquated people out there (like myself) who don't even have a regular cell phone Eye-wink Besides, I wouldn't know how to work an app if there were step by step instructions in front of me.

No votes yet

"We sleep soundly in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence apoun those which would do us harm." "Molon Labe!"

Scotty the Minotaur's picture

The bulletin board AKA "Pink Monster" will continue to be useful if not for the amusement and fun of attendees as evidenced by its popularity.  Its removal is sillier than the fact it exists.  Its a fun way of being in contact with attendees such as Artslave's wine tasting -- or making a frivolous remark.  Its removal is annoying and in my opinion smacks of board snobbery as if out of touch with what attendees want.  It's fun, albeit moderately useful.  Don't discourage fun.

Scotty

Average: 5 (1 vote)
ArtSlave's picture

Well. Shit. In that case I'll post the date/time/location in this thread. Probably thursday/friday.

No votes yet

CelticKitty's picture

Great! I hope the "pink monster" comes back because I was sooooooooooo close to missing out on your event, Artslave, and its become my favorite non scheduled ac event.... Even my other half keeps saying it was his favorite thing from last years ac. Lol. Ps please keep me in the loop as we will deffinately be there this year and if we can get another in time, will be bringing an extra special gift for your party.Smiling we thought about a boxed wine too for others... Haha the classiest!

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

I'll post here the date/time when I arrive thursday afternoon Smiling Likely thurs night/fri night. Just a little gathering this year, it'll be in the mariott.

No votes yet

Zippy Coyote's picture

Yeah I always liked the jokes on that contact board!  ('specially the adult-swim back...)  The 'Monster' is sometimes a real piece of art on its own!

Now back to the topic... I'd like to try the wine tasting!

No votes yet

Zippy Coyote

CoyoteNet

C*net 1-265-5101

ArtSlave's picture

I'll post the address and time here on this forum thursday afternoon :)  Bring a wine to share with everyone(And your ID plz!), we provide the snacks(and usually copious amoutns of wine ourselves).

No votes yet

charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

Just remember Rule # 1: the drinking age in Pennsylvania is 21, and ArtSlave enforces it.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

ArtSlave's picture

Yup. And I really hate turning people away at the door after a 5 block walk for leaving their IDs int heir rooms so PLEASE DONT FORGET THEMMMM.

No votes yet

Coyoty's picture

You don't think it would be fun?  "No wine for you, ha ha!  DENIED!  What's that?  You're whining?  I said no whine!"

No votes yet
Mekali Kaga's picture

Ooo, wine tasting...  Smiling Sounds interesting; I do enjoy a nice glass on occasion.

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

I'll post the date/time/location here. Likely thursday/friday late. It'll be real laid back. Bring a bottle to share with everyone(And your ID, don't forget it).

No votes yet

CelticKitty's picture

The best thing is that its not just about the wines, its an ice breaker for those of us who are shy... The conversations that are created just amaze me. Thank you for holding it again,ArtSlave!

Prisma Lin's picture

havent ever been to a wine tasting :3 sounds fun!

No votes yet

FOR GREAT SCIENCE!

Soggy Otter's picture

Off topic, I know.  But, like Zippy said above, the pink monster was always amusing to peruse.  Like he said, it was almost a piece of collaborative art.  Indeed, some furs would scribble little pieces of furry art on the post-it notes.

Also, the tables underneath it are a good place for people to leave fliers.

We do one at Furpocalypse (formerly FurFright).

I think that my all time favorite is:  "Vore/FatFur party in room ***." laughing hard I thought to myself,  "Now that is one party that I do not plan on attending!  And I sincerely hope that I'm not the one they send in to clean up the mess afterwards!" Barf! Eye-wink

Yes, some messages can get a bit raunchy.  But if they are truly offensive, (especially if they are full of invective aimed at a specific person) I have been known to pull it off of the board, tear it up, and throw it into the nearest garbage bin.  But those instances have been rare.

Yes!  By all means, bring the "pink monster" back! Smiling

Soggy

Average: 5 (2 votes)

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

MeowthRocket's picture

Wine and friends.... sounds wonderful.

Thorfax's picture
This user is a Staff Member

Due to unfortunate placement of my birthday in relation to the con, namely the con taking place literally less than a month before my birthday, I won't be able to go this year, but I sure hope to be able to next year.

No votes yet

Good. I finally have your attention.

ArtSlave's picture

We look foreward to having you next year!

No votes yet

jeefers's picture

Just curious why you don't like the Westin?  Elevators? Hall Drama at 3AM? (earplugs recommended)

On a side note, i think we need to make it clear that room doors cannot be left open or blocked open with the night latches.  That coupled with loud people in those room is pretty aggravating and makes it impossible to sleep in some room without the earplugs.

Jeef

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

I like cold and quiet. Westin is always super warm, even in rooms with the thermostat jacked all the way down. And quiet is self explanatory XD The doubletree usually is both of those things.

No votes yet

TechnoDragon's picture

"I like cold and quiet"

You and me both! Wait, will it be at the Marriot or the Doubletree?

Thanks! ^.=.^

No votes yet

Please save the Anthrocon Forums. Thank you! <3

ArtSlave's picture

The Mariott- I almost always book at the DT but there was a kerfuffle booking suites online so we ended up delaying til we could get a hold of the woman representing the convention at the hotels or whatever, and by then the suites were past their cutoff date.

No votes yet

TechnoDragon's picture

Excellent, thank you ArtSlave ^.=.^ I look forward to it.

No votes yet

misticmimic's picture

I've never been to a wine tasting.  Then again I'm typically horrifically shy and don't get out of my comfort zone a lot.  I am interested in taking part, hopefully that can at least bring me out of my socially anxious shell.  

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

My tips for the super shy(My husband used to be hella shy UNTIL I BEAT IT OUT OF HIM): Buy a wine you think is super neat NOW, and then you won't be tempted to back out at the last minute Smiling We're really low key, and it's a great place to meet folks, especially since we host it early in the weekend, so you can hang out with new friends and hopefully make more!

No votes yet

deroyan's picture

I like to try wine tasting Smiling

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

Sure, if you want to come, bring a bottle of wine you like and check on this forum message thusrday evening to see the time/day I'll be hosting it. It will probably be thurs or friday night.

No votes yet

Kiric's picture

If it's Thursday, you might just see me there ^_^

No votes yet

vg-gaming@anthrocon.org

ArtSlave's picture

I'm leaning towards doing it thursday so staff can come.

No votes yet

PeterCat's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

To note, there's an all-staff meeting Thursday night (probably lasting until about 11pm), and many will have to get up early on Friday. Friday night you're opposite the Artists & Dealers Reception (9-11pm, but people can duck out of that early).

No votes yet

For faster answers to any Art Show question, please e-mail artshow (at) anthrocon.org. I visit the message boards here only a couple of times a week.

ArtSlave's picture

I think by Friday night most staff will already be thinking fondly on their beds early in the evening Eye-wink

No votes yet

Keragon's picture

Never been to one of these before, but always wanted to go.  Perhaps its because I was worried about what people would be like?  Best to go with a bunch of furries I figure!

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

Basically, haha. It's a nice way to meet people pre-con and try some wines and pretend to be cultured for a night. WHAT WITH OUR DIXIE CUPS AND PAPER PLATES!

No votes yet

Flippy's picture

So do people prefer quality over quantity? I can bring a few bottles of some ok cheap white wine or 1 bottle of a nice riesling or something. Just figured I'd ask.

Laughing out loud I'm staying at the double tree so that's a super convent.

Fine Wine & Spirits

959 Liberty Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
....is the address of the closest liquor store to the con I believe if someone forgets to pack a bottle with them.

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

We've actually had to book at an alternative hotel, at the Mariott, which I think is right across the way.

Bring something, it doesn't matter to us. We've had some really tasty cheap wines, as well as some really shitty ones Eye-wink It's all about finding new wines we like to have more of when we get home, so if you want to bring a few  nice looking cheap ones, no one will complain!

No votes yet

Rover T. Mutt's picture

Argh.  The Mariott.  Now I have to figure out where that is and update my brain memory.  :)  I'll be showing up and bringing Wild Blackberry wine.  It's local.  :D  ---Mr. Mutt

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

Amaruq's picture

Congratulations on 7 years. Still debating on a selection for the event.

No votes yet
ArtSlave's picture

I know I can hardly believe it myself! Seven years, jeez. I know we'll love whatever you bring Laughing out loud

No votes yet

JBadger's picture

I will try to make it, I always seem to miss the event due to stuff.

No votes yet

-- The silly little ratel

Amaruq's picture

Shuttle bus du Vin..

Looks like the Anthrocon Shuttle bus service will be running from 6pm to 2am on Thursday. Link below and the Marriot is on the Blue Route

http://mobile.anthrocon.org/#shuttle

No votes yet
TechnoDragon's picture

Hello Artslave, I'm staying at the marriot and as far as I've seen the room numbers only go as high as the 900's (floor 9) did I miss something?

No votes yet

Ron Bauerle's picture
This user is a Contributor

I suspect it's not
COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT PITTSBURGH DOWNTOWN
945 Penn Avenue
but
Hotel: MARRIOTT PITTSBURGH CITY CENTER
112 Washington Place

No votes yet
TechnoDragon's picture

You are correct Ron, thank you for clarifying ^.=.^ I should have checked the link to the map she provided instead of assuming Laugh

No votes yet

CelticKitty's picture

ArtSlave.... Bottle ready.... Us two furballs, ready!Sticking out tongue

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.