My first con.

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
9 replies [Last post]
ledgema's picture

Well, I'm very pleased to say that I had a great time at Anthrocon. It was a first for me to go to a con like this and also a first for me travelling to Pittsburgh. The Westin was great, the room didn't put my allergies out of whack like some other hotel over in Fort Erie, the convention centre was pretty good with lots of space to move around in the Dealers Room. To Uncle Kage, KP, Giza and the rest of the Anthrocon staff, well done Smiling. I know that there were many challenges, but I think you all did your best. To those who I've met during the con, it's been my pleasure to meet you. I do hope to see you all again next year. Dougal and Baby Scorch will hopefully be making their return too.

No votes yet
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Theyain Riyu's picture

No Allergy problems? YAY, cause i have a horrible Dust allergy.

I am glad, and i am sure so are many others too, to hear that AC was great for you.

07 will be my first AC, and in 08 i will have a Fursuit! (well, with how fast i keep getting money, i SHOULD have enough for a FS)

No votes yet
ledgema's picture

My allergies tend to get very bad at times. Dust and pollen are the worst triggers. I don't know what was with the hotel in Fort Erie, I was sniffling all night. I had no problems at the Westin so hopefully you'll be fine there too.

Well by the looks of things, I'm a year ahead of you. I didn't have a fursuit of my own at that time, but I borrowed one that a friend brought along. I'm getting one made and it'll be ready by the end of the week. A fursuit isn't required for AC, but it adds to the fun and participation of the con. I know it's a little early, but I look forward to seeing you next year.

No votes yet
BlackJack's picture
This user is a Contributor

Frankly, I wondered if whatever I'm allergic to was out-of-season in Pittsburgh. I didn't really have allergic reactions on the way there (in slightly processed-air), nor the hotel, nor the convention center. It was one more reason not to want to come home. Smiling

No votes yet

MOST AC ATTENDEES DO NOT WEAR A FURSUIT OR ANY FORM OF COSTUME.

ledgema's picture

Hehe, I know the feeling. It was tough trying to readjust after having so much fun. I miss seeing everyone.

No votes yet
Theyain Riyu's picture

Can't Wait to see you (or anyone for that matter) either! Oh, and i know that one doesn't need a fursuit. but i want one (or more of two now!) anyways! And when i said two, I was hinting at that an idea i had!

Okay, The first fursuit i am going to get is going to be based of a 3D design i have somewhere (fox), and the second one will be based entirely on Disney's Robin Hood from the 1960's Anthro movie "Robin Hood" (duh Sticking out tongue). Obviously, i like foxes.

Oh, and my Allergies are much worse then just sniffling. When even just a little dust gets into my nose, i sneeze. And when I sneeze, you can hear it from VERY far away. I am very load when i sneeze. Also, Dust makes me itch like crasy, and dries my eyes out.

------------------------
Want to help me Build AC in SL? Email me at
Theyain_Riyu (at) Yahoo (dot) Com

No votes yet
ledgema's picture

And I thought I was the only one who had the lung power to have a sneeze that could heard from at a distance. You must have allergies like mine, they can be very sensitive at times.

No votes yet
Verdauga's picture

My first con as well and I loved it too! Although I am hoping to make friends next time around, shy and all that jazz, advice appriciated. Just wanted to mention I do believe that the Westin takes great pride in their filtered air system, probably why nobody had allergy problems, I get them too and was very happy to not have a problem. Cats aren't supposed to be allergic to fur.

No votes yet

A Tiger

ledgema's picture

I'm not sure what it was at this hotel that I stayed in. Sort of had that "freshly laid carpet" smell. It really got my allergies going along with a sore throat and I had to work the next day. As for the Westin I enjoyed my stay there. I still had my allergies for the first day but felt better as the con progressed.

No votes yet
Unclekage's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

That is 4-phenylcyclohexene, commonly known as "4-PC." It is the chemical that is responsible for the characteristic smell of new carpeting. A certain number of people are allergic to it, though, to varying degrees.

I know of no plans to put new carpeting in the Westin, the Omni or the Convention Center, so it shouldn't be a worry.

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.