[FUNDS SENT] Starting a fund to contribute to damage repair to Westin during Anthrocon 2013

Welcome furry fans!

We're glad you stopped by. Go ahead and register for a free account to get the benefits of being a member, including:
  • Access to all of our posts and comments
  • Your own profile including an avatar, buddy lists, and other social networking features
  • The ability to participate in a community of over 9,000 furry fans!
Creating an account is easy. Register now!
84 replies [Last post]
Pamiiruq's picture

UPDATE (8/20):
I've mailed the check to Anthrocon, Inc.'s headquarters! Details are below in the thread, in my last posts. Thank you so much for your help, everyone! I really hope this will assist with paying down the damage (at least a little) and demonstrate that we, as a community, care about the relationships we're building with those that put up with us! :3

Bows in thanks for everyone's generosity.

--Pamiiruq

UPDATE (8/9):
Thanks for all your help! The donation campaign has ended and reached $708.17!

I will be sending that amount (after adding my own contribution and offsetting the CrowdTilt fees) directly to Anthrocon, Inc. I will include updates when this occurs.

Here's a screenshot of the email I received, for reference (click for larger):

More updates when the money is sent! Thank you for your help, again!

UPDATE (8/4): Just wanted to remind everyone that this campaign will be ending in 4 days on August 8, 2013! After it ends, the money will be deposited and I will then send it all as a check to Anthrocon, Inc.'s main address on their "Contact Us" (Postal mail) page.

When I do this, I will post updates to this thread.

UPDATE: We've "tilted"! This means that the funds contributed so far have been processed. However, since we still have 23 days left, I'm going to keep it open until it finishes. That means that if you still want to contribute, but haven't yet, you certainly will be able to! All money raised will be going towards Anthrocon. Since we still don't have a hard number, and people have suggested that the cost will likely be greater than the initial $500, whatever you can give will certainly help.

Keep it up everyone, and thanks for helping out!

- Pamiiruq

======= Original post =======
First, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this thread: http://www.anthrocon.org/node/13728/seriously-people

I was in room 1717 and, while I didn't see the damage, a few of my friends who visited did. Uncle Kage said that Anthrocon, Inc. will be charged for the damage, and that (understandably) it will hurt our reputation with the hotel "even more". I don't like the implications of those words, and I especially don't condone the kind of behavior of these individuals.

I agree that a witch-hunt for these individuals for the purpose of shaming/revenge is counter-productive and probably won't end well. But I wanted to do something to help. I don't want Anthrocon to be stuck paying for this out of their own funding, as that diminishes funds for future cons and events, and is really unfair to Kage & co. because they really shouldn't be punished for the crimes of a few miscreants. So let me emphasize this: This is not a witch-hunt, but a donation drive to contribute to the extra expenses occurred upon Anthrocon, Inc.

I figured it'd be best to set up a crowdsourced fund to help pay for the damage. It would not only help Anthrocon save more of its money so it can use it to make future conventions even better, but I believe it would also be a gesture of good will and thanks to the Westin and the city of Pittsburgh for hosting us and putting up with us, even when unfortunate events like this occur.

The link to the fund is below. I don't know how much the damage repair will cost, so I started the fund where I felt would be a decent amount. I contacted Uncle Kage by PM, but I understand he is probably very busy. If he gets back to me before the fund ends, I'll update the amount accordingly, so long as the time left and current donations won't lead to an unfunded campaign. UPDATE: Uncle Kage has replied in this thread and said that, as this is a private donation, they would accept it. A dollar amount hasn't been revealed (perhaps the hotel hasn't even given one out, yet), but $500 is a good starter amount, but if we go over, I'm sure it would help them out, greatly! All of the money will go towards Anthrocon. I'll pay any fees to CrowdTilt out of my own pocket.

This campaign is NOT affiliated with Anthrocon, Inc. officially. I'm simply an attendee who wishes to keep Anthrocon going. I love the community and Anthrocon is one of the few places I can go and totally let loose and be myself. I feel that this is a good way to give back!

Please contribute! And thanks!

CrowdTilt Campaign for Westin Damage Repair incurred during Anthrocon 2013:
https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/anthrocon-2013-contribution-fund-for-repairsupkeep-of-the-westin/description

Average: 5 (4 votes)
Your rating: None

Pamiiruq Sorrell, your resident huskytaur http://soundcloud.com/Pamiiruq

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
charlieg's picture
This user is a Contributor

I have only one problem with this, Pamiiruq.  Will it tell the @$$#01le$ who did it "Hey, we did it and everyone else covered for us!  We'll do it again next time and next time, we'll vandalize even more!"  That's my concern: that it will encourage the jerks who did it to do more of it.  If you raise even more than is neede to cover the damage, they might even justify it by saying that the overage went to the charity.

That said, if Uncle Kage says this is a good idea and mentions a dollar figure, I'd contribute.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

http://forums.anthrocon.org/faq/minors

Pamiiruq's picture

I understand and feel the same. However, it has to be paid for regardless. I'd give the same argument for social programs as here. No one likes that it happened, and I'm sure even if it got paid off, if this was a recurring event and got progressively worse, I'm sure the hotel would stop hosting us. Money aside, it is a liability. It might be signs this time. It could be windows or doors next time. It isn't, however, my responsibility, or anyone else's (aside from the Board) to exact punishment for their behavior. We can, however, own it as a community and help to fix it. I see it as atonement and also as a demonstration of the true character of the community, who I believe does care about its integrity and our relationship with the hotel and Pittsburgh.

That's how I see it, anyway.

And thanks for the vote of confidence. Smiling

No votes yet

Glelin's picture

I don't think so. That's a terrible motivation to do something stupid.

It was probably a drunken spree, and hopefully they woke up the next morning with zero gratification from the event.

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

charlieg's picture

Glelin, I hope you're right, that it was merely a drunken spree.  Unfortunately, it has happened before.  Back at the Adams' Mark, IIRC.  I do not want to support anything that even remotely suggests the idea that we (Anthrocon and its attendees) condone such behavior.  Nor, as I said earlier, that we do anything that might indicate we'd cover for such criminal behavior.

If that sounds hard-assed, I'm not going to apologize.  Just remember; drunkeness reduces inhibitions, it does not cause criminal behavior.  That means that the individuals who did this already have tendencies toward vandalism, IMO.  Since I don't have such tendencies myself, I can't say that getting away with it would encourage them to do it again.  I don't want to encourage such behavior in any way.

No votes yet

To avoid problems with parents, read this FAQ and all its internal links before discussing Furry with your parents:

Oasus's picture

I certainly understand your position as I myself prefer not to encourage the behavior of dickweeds (the technical term for these people).  However, this isn't about encouraging dickweeds.  In my view, this is about trying to maintain a positive reputation with those who are generous enough to give us shelter for the duration of the convention.  I do agree that the people who did this should be brought to justice (and hopefully in time they will, because this behavior is not right at all).

No votes yet
MothMonarch's picture
This user is a Staff Member

I think it's a nice idea and would like to help as long as someone of authority on staff OKs this first. I can't think of how raising funds like this might pose a problem, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues with this approach that the board would be aware of.

No votes yet
Glelin's picture

If it turns out this campaign is undesired, it is as simple as canceling it on the website. Then nobody will be charged or all donations will be refunded.

No votes yet

Curious about the current topics of conversation here on the forums? Check out the Recent Posts!

charlieg's picture

An important question here, Glelin, is whether or not it could impact Anthrocon's tax-exempt status.   If it does, this will be disapproved.

No votes yet

Pamiiruq's picture

There was an option that I can set on the site where it indicates that these are donations to a tax-exempt organization. However, it specifies 501(c)3, and Anthrocon is 501(c)7. I left it unchecked for now (as I wasn't sure), but I can change that later. I would need direction on this, however.

I'm not a tax lawyer, however, so I don't know if that's enough. I will accept direction on this matter, as I said, from Kage or someone else who is in a similar position on the Board.

No votes yet

Unclekage's picture
This user is a Board MemberThis user is a Staff Member

We are not tax-exempt.  However, if people want to make (non tax-deductible) donations to the convention, we do accept those.

Average: 4.7 (6 votes)
Pamiiruq's picture

CrowdTilt awards funds via direct deposit. I don't have anything set up there, yet. What's the standard way to send donations? I could set it to deposit into a new bank account and then send a check, though a more direct method would be a bit easier for me. Smiling

No votes yet

Glelin's picture

Walk into any bank, and you can set up a new bank account in minutes. Banks make this process very easy because THEY WANT YOU NAO!

No votes yet

Pamiiruq's picture

Good point! I called up my bank and asked about this. They said I could just set up a checking account for this. When the money goes in, I can just write a check to Anthrocon and mail it out, I suppose. I'll keep everything as documented and public as possible, to ensure that everything is on the up-and-up. The campaign and everything is under my real name, too (as I'm sure people have noticed).

No votes yet

Soggy Otter's picture

Tax exempt or not.  As soon as Uncle Kage approves this project and gives us a dollar number to shoot for, I am ready to drop a few bucks into the pot.

And may I suggest that any excess money collected be given to this year's charity.  Equine Angels Rescue.

Soggy

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Thank you, everyfur who attended Highwing's, Skarlath's, and my Zootopia panel!
Will we do it yet again, next year?
As I said last year: "Only time will tell..."

Glelin's picture

We probably won't get a dollar amount since it might not be resolved for a while. Let's just shoot for the original $500.

No votes yet

hypr's picture

I believe this is a good idea because it shows the Westin that the attendees of AC care about the hotel and it also helps Anthrocon Incorporated repair the damaged relationship with Starwood Hotels.

No votes yet
Raishi's picture

While it's sad to heard what a few members of the community did, it's unavoidable that there are a few bad apples in any group our size, and it's heartwarming to see the rest trying to do the right thing; despite the actions of a few, the furry fandom impresses me yet again here.  I agree with the sentiment behind the fund, too; the Westin has always been good to me, as has all of Pittsburgh, and I'd have to see our relationship with them damaged.

I'm a little hesitant about the idea of this going too far without Kage's approval, since I don't know the full situation, but it can always be canceled, so I don't see how it could do any harm.  I can't contribute as much as I'd like after an...unexpected extension of my trip cost me a lot of extra money, but I can't just walk away without throwing in at least a little, either.

No votes yet
Pamiiruq's picture

Thanks! Kage did say in this thread they will always be accepting private donations, which this would be. So I think things should be fine (I should post this in the top post, heh).

No votes yet

ShiinWindragon's picture

I won't get paid again until Wednesday night (the 17th), but when I do get paid you can definitely count me in. I can't believe that someone would vandalize a hotel that has been good to them (if it was someone from the convention and not an outsider showing ill will). I'd be more than happy to contribute to a convention that was so good to me.

No votes yet
ShiinWindragon's picture

Threw in $50; I know it's not much but since the campaign is going on for almost three more weeks, I'll throw more in here and there when I can. Good luck to Kage and the Anthrocon staff!

Average: 5 (2 votes)
Glelin's picture

$50 is more than enough to show your vast generosity Smiling

No votes yet

Raishi's picture

No new donations since yesterday?  Hmm, not so good.  Have to try to push this around FA a bit, maybe, see if we can get it noticed.

No votes yet
Cosmik's picture

1) This is the first I've seen of this.  It needs a lot more publicity.

2) $500 seems low.  Hotel repairs are expensive because vendors overcharge for everything.

3) We're not on a witch hunt because we can't prove the vandalism was caused by someone with AC. By that logic, though, neither can the Westin, so they can't totally tag this one on us, and frankly, shouldn't be billing us.  If it is PROVEN it was someone with AC, then yes, we pay, they tag us, it hurts us, etc.  Even if we had every room in the hotel, it's possible (although very, very unlikely) someone from outside could have slipped upstairs and done this.  But it's harder to prove it was us than, say, the beach ball to the chandelier incident.  :)

4) If we do raise too much, or it turns out the repair money is not needed, it's still nice to support AC - all money raised just goes into making next year's con even better.  Win/Win!  :D

Average: 4 (1 vote)
Raishi's picture

As far as #3, it doesn't matter if they prove it.  It doesn't even matter if it was us.  If they feel that it was, and it hurts our relationship with the hotel or with the city, it's bad, the story ends right there.  If we can help smooth things over by pitching in a little, then, great.  Even if we don't -need- to, even if they KNOW it wasn't one of us that caused the problem and never think for a moment to blame it on us, it's still worth it to help out a little when they've been so good to use for years.  Besides, can't possibly hurt to keep spreading the idea of furries being a community that takes care of their own and their friends; Pittsburgh's already seen that with Fernando's, but more of that publicity can't hurt!

Pamiiruq's picture

As far as #2, I was worried. I honestly don't know anything about what the charges would be, in what ballpark. Even if we don't get the whole cost of it, though, it should help, no? I am hesitant to raise the "tilt" amount too much for fear that we may not reach it and no money gets donated.

For #1, I did post it to the Anthrocon facebook group, and I know others have been sharing it around. Though if you know of other ways to promote it, I'm all ears!

Thanks for the feedback and vote of confidence! Smiling

No votes yet

Axel Wolf's picture

Honestly, this has happened at every furry con from what I have gathered that you have some idiots who for lols that about the last night of the con, damage or steal whatever from the hotel because they think they can get away with it since furs have already left or is asleep and be less likely be caught since they will leave within hours. They do not know this comes back to bite the con in the you know where since it will come out the con's pockets thus can have a negative impact on future events, panels and whatnot in future con's as well as damage the con's reputation in the city it is held in. It is even more sad that this has basically happened every year Anthrocon has been in Pittsburgh, not sure if this happened when AC was in Philly. You wonder why some cons can not stay in the same hotel for long? I honestly wonder though how many other cons have experienced this childish, not funny in the slightest behavior? I do think a fund needs to be set up to cover any damages that will befallen Anthrocon in the future since I hate to say it there will be morons who will be doing this again at AC next year and the year after that and so on and so forth so that Kage and AC doesn't have to be the ones having to pay for the damages themselves therefore having a negative impact on what Anthrocon can offer in the future as well as not get places like the Westin, Courtyard, OMNI and the others very angry and strain the relationships between the con and the hotels as well as the relationship with the city of Pittsburgh.

No votes yet
iamBGS's picture

Assuming this was people with the con (which isn't a huge stretch imo), I once again must shake my head at the small minority of congoers who propagate the stereotype of "furries ruin everything."

If the responsible party is reading this:  This isn't a witch hunt.  You may never even be caught.  But you know what?  You aren't worth our time.  We have rallied, we are part of something bigger and better, and we reject you.

FIRE FOX's picture

This is the first I have herd of this.  I have sent some money to the fund.  Hope it will help.

No votes yet

I may be FIRE FOX,  but I had nothing to do with your network crashing.

Oasus's picture

Holy crap! This is my first time EVER seeing you on here! Sticking out tongue

How have you been friend? Smiling

No votes yet
durangodingo's picture

This isnt the first time someone has done this to the room signs. The person or persons who did this im sure will be caught ( there are security cameras in the hallways ) and made to pay for the damages. Put the responsibility on the person where it belongs. I cant belive the stupidity of some furries >.< ....oh wait, yes i can >>.<<

No votes yet
Rick2tails's picture

so I`m kind of broke after AC but maybe i could contribute something next friday.how long will this thing  go on for?

No votes yet
Pamiiruq's picture

I have it set to expire after 30 days. It's only been a few days so you have time.

No votes yet

SnowCrystal's picture

I donated some yesterday! Hope you reach the $500 goal!

No votes yet
billnplay2's picture

I get paid again on next Friday and will donate some.

No votes yet
Sonicgott's picture

I must make a point on what I had witnessed at the con that I'm really not too happy about. During registration, people were knocking a rather large beach ball back and forth in the registration line. As amusing as it was to see this, it had to end. I watched in horror as the beach ball hit the ceiling of the DLCC, but amazingly, nothing got damaged.

You would think it would be common sense to not throw large objects around at the con.

Average: 5 (3 votes)
Oasus's picture

Sadly, in this day and age, common sense is not as common as we take it for.

No votes yet
Axel Wolf's picture

Sad thing is that I think it was because of that beach ball that did some damage to an chandelier in the Westin during the Dead Dog dance Sunday night since I saw that the Westin staff were taking pics of one of the chandeliers which they were trying to close off that room when I took a peek inside the dance. I am not exactly sure what did cause the damage but I heard of how much THAT is going to cost to repair and well, it is a lot more that what happened to those room numbers in the Westin, that is for sure.

No votes yet
Glelin's picture

Well isn't that lovely.

No votes yet

Aurius's picture

Thankfully the chandelier lights are individual pieces of crystal and not one large piece, this significantly reduces the repair cost as they will only need to replace the specific broken pieces.  However that does not excuse people from the fact that they should have known better than to be throwing a beach ball around in a room with expenisve crystal light fixtures.

No votes yet

Once more into the Fray, into the last good fight i'll ever know

Pamiiruq's picture

Perhaps this should be policy next time we have a dance in these rooms (if they allow it next time, that is...).

No votes yet

charlieg's picture

Copied from Anthrocon's Standards of Conduct, Other Hotel matters (emphasis added):

No water pistols, silly string, or any thrown or projectile-type toy may be used in any area of the hotel or Convention Center.

So, there's already a policy in place and it was violated.

Pamiiruq's picture

Fantastic, then.

No votes yet

Salem Wolf's picture

I see the current balance is $300.00.........

No votes yet

"A Spirit Guide Totem Wolf."

Salem Wolf's picture

.....well, the balance is now $500.00

Salem

Average: 5 (5 votes)

Pamiiruq's picture

You rock! Thanks for the boost!

Glelin's picture

Wow, Salem. If that jump was you, thank you a ton!

Salem Wolf's picture

Glelin,

Saw the balance was $300 so I added enough to make it "tilt" ....or whatever they call it.

Salem

Average: 5 (6 votes)

Glelin's picture

*hugs*

Canius's picture

yea I popped in and out of the sunday dance and missed what happened... >sigh<

I get paid the 1st so is there time then to donate . How much is needed Sad

No votes yet
Pamiiruq's picture

Any amount at all! And there's 23 days left so whatever you feel like giving will be appreciated.

No votes yet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.